The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Ring Illusion from Tilfords (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
maverick23
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of maverick23
Has anyone performed this illusion? Also is it available from anywhere else other than Tilfords?

Cheers
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Hank Lee's Magic Factory also carries it: http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=1

I owned one for a couple of years and used it only once. It didn't fit my style but it's very deceptive.
Matt Kap
View Profile
New user
Seattle, Washington
67 Posts

Profile of Matt Kap
I am also interested in this illusion, I watched the tilford video and I can see ways in which it could be played well. Does anyone else have any experiences with the device?
-MATT KAP
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." -Albert Einstein
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I've seen the video and would love to know too. Anyone have any insight?
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

As per above, I owned one for several years. What would you like to know about it?
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Michael, you said it was not your style trick. What was it that kept it from "working for you?" It sounds good, used as a transposition, and says it can be done surrounded. Is it cumbersome? Not deceptive enough? Not enough bang for your buck? Is it klutzy when you have to assemble the rings around your assistant? I guess that is more of what I want to know.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Hello MorningStar,

Well, the main problem was that I could not use it as a transposition as I wanted to. The reason is that the rings are not large enough to go around my shoulders. I tried it with some of the slimmest, smallest male performers I know and none of them could get the rings over their shoulders.

That meant that I had to use it as an escape for my assistant, which wasn't what I had in mind when I bought it. I didn't spend an enormous amount of time trying to figure out how to put it in the proper context for my show but I only do illusions about 15 - 20 times per year. I decided the illusions I use most of the time were more effective for me right now so I sold it. I think it's a great illusion if you can find an effective presentation.

Since you will likely be able to get inside the rings, it should work well for you. It can be done surrounded and I think it's very deceptive. A well-known illusion builder looked at it and couldn't figure out how it worked.

It is slow to put the rings in place with your assistant standing there, but there are things you can do to make it faster. I used a cordless drill with a nut driver in the chuck so that I could quickly secure the nuts to the bolts.

I saw a terrific presentation of it done by Paul Daniels. It was a video tape of one of his television specials in Great Britain. He secured his wife, Debbie, in the illusion and then two spectators lifted the hoop curtain. He had them walk slowly to the left of the illusion. The curtain had a slit in the side (covered by the fact that the material overlapped) and so the hoop curtain cleared the upright with the rings attached. It made it look like she disappeared.

When they dropped the hoop curtain, Debbie was standing there having made a complete costume change. That was terrific. Of course, Paul was very entertaining while securing Debbie inside the rings. That kept it moving during the slow part. (I'm not nearly as funny as Paul Daniels!)

I hope this helps.

Michael
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
I saw another magician do this illusion on TV. Most of the rings were in position and they only connect 2 more rings. The assistant stood near the rings, a curtain was lifted and then she was in between the rings. The curtain was lifted again and she was out with different custom...
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

That would certainly speed up the process although I'm not sure if doing it that way would improve or degrade the audience response. I would suggest testing it both ways to see if starting with the rings in place would be as effective. It's definitely an interesting idea.
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
I execute similarity of this illusion. The secret strongly differs from the original. The secret is developed by me. In my illusion of an exchange occurs much more quickly. I can send wishing videos.
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Alex, is it the same video as you have on your website?
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Video is not present it on a site. I can send you video on yours email.
Alex Krey
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Is this illusion shown in any of the escape books? I think it is in the Abbott's Book of Escapes? Or is it similar to the Totem Pole escape using ropes instead of rings?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
No! This illusion is not described in books. This illusion holds a patent.
Alex Krey
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Thanks, Michael for the details. I am sure my shoulders would fit and am sorry yours did not. That must be slow and frustrating putting those rings in place. Ebo2 had a good suggestion regarding using fewer rings. That certainly would speed up the process, but I agree about lowered audience response. There must be some sort of compromise that blends speed with difficulty of escape. Maybe Alex Krey has something in the works. I would love to see the video, Alex.
Doug Henning
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Thank you for the video Alex Krey. Very cool effect. Nice kitties you have working as your assistants! Smile
Doug Henning
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Yes, thanks for sending me a copy of it too. If any of those kitties need a home, let me know :-D
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

MCM must be a real animal lover.
Doug Henning
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
All thanks!
Kittens are not on sale! Smile
I the same love them.
Alex Krey
Oliver - Twist
View Profile
Regular user
France
170 Posts

Profile of Oliver - Twist
Hello everybody,

If I'm right there's a magic company selling the Ring Illusion in Germany. Their name is ZZM (www.zauberzentrale.de).
May all your days be magical

Oliver Twist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Ring Illusion from Tilfords (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL