The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "Call of Cthulhu" Movie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Has anyone seen this yet? It looks absolutely awesome -- made exactly in the Lovecraft spirit. All the reviews are excellent. This is definitely next on my list. I can't believe I didn't know about it... (And the poster looks great, too!)

http://www.cthulhulives.org/CoC/trailer.html

Seth
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I haven't seen it, but you can bet I will! If it is true to the Lovecraftian spirit, it has to be good.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
I’ve got it. It’s awesome. They did a great job. Defiantly gets 5 out of 5 tentacles. I picked up their Tupilak too. Don’t know what I’ll do with it, but it’s nice.

Later,
Gavin D.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Oh yeah, HPLHS and I are like peas and carrots.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Is the movie itself finished and out? or is it still int he works??
(I have been most patient awaiting the rise of the great one from the depths, but I grow weary!)- wait, two different movies, sorry!
;}
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Kay,

Appartently, you can get it on dvd on the HPLHS site. It snuck past me too.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Yes, sorry that wasn't clear. If you go to the main page at the link below, then click on the awesome poster on the right of the screen, then click "Buy DVD Now", you will be taken to a list of items and can order the movie for $20.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/toc.html

Also, Doug -- thanks for the link to that other Cthulhu film! I've bookmarked it, and will see how that project goes... very intriguing!

Here's what the SciFi Network says about the Call of Cthulhu film:

"After seeing this on BB I ordered a copy on a lark and my girlfriend and I watched it tonight at midnight with the lights out. This is one of those genius, word-of-mouth, Hollywood-will-never-understand-it kind of films. Made mostly with love and hard work, plus a bit of money. It's both silent and black-and-white, which gives it a great Lovecraftian feel but guarantees it will never go mainstream. And considering they tried to use only materials that would have been available in the 1920s, they did an awesome job of bringing Cthulhu and R'Lyeh and all that other gooey Lovecraft goodness to life. The non-Euclidean geometry is built with cardboard. The ocean is really a sea of waving canvas. And the Elder God himself is a wacky stop-motion/clay-mation deal that still manages to be menacing. Best $20 I ever spent on a DVD"

I'm looking forward! Probably a good flick to watch right before a nice little bizarre presentation or a seance conjuring Azathoth...

Also, Cthulhu fans should check out the really nice (and free) Cthulhu Comic, at this link from BoingBoing.net (run by my old pal, author Cory Doctorow):

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/02/cre......s_c.html

Seth
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Ah, "Cthulhu the Movie" - finally....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Got mine, it totally rocks as does everything from HPLHS. I also picked up A Very Scary Solstice. It is awesome!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Cthulhu lives..the stars are right again.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
My movie arrived. With a detached eye (figuratively, not physically), I saw my hands tremble as I struggled to remove the cello wrap.
Oddly enough, my brain failed to recognize the danger, the horror that was soon to befall my mere mortal mind!
There, the innocently shining disc, that thin little piece of technology that held "unspeakable" nightmares within its coded contents...

As the room went dark, the small glow of a single red eye illuminated the infernal machine, and (foolish mortal that I am) I pressed the button marked PLAY on my remote.

"Select Language" the fickering light proposed to my retinas..What horror HAD I unleashed... 27 choices..The Evil one offered his humor, his mind rending fiendishness- 27 different Languages!

I felt the subtle tug of the Byakee's gnawing at my mind. "Press Play..." I did.

It seems a blur to me now, that muting of color in the visual realm, the slight flicker of Mythovision, the incredible sounds reverberating in my head.

"Oh hush and turn off the Sub-Woofer" Tory said!
It was GREAT! Personally I think it should get some serious screen time in a real theater. These folks, on a literal shoe string budget managed to create what many of then felt was a near impossibility. They did it with incredible lighting, camera, and SFX while keeping a very period feel to both the film, and the methods. And pretty darn good acting too. The extras on the DVD are a hoot, and I am not sure, but I could have recognized Clifford as one of the Crazed cultists in the swamp scene...!
I strongly suggest- before the Great God Cthulu himself puts the thought into your head the hard way- That you spend the paltry $20 and shipping change to get this small work or art for your collection. This is no 10 minute fan movie! This thing made me miss the first 10 minutes of CSI, and that says something, because I could not tape and watch DVD at the same time! (And I GOTS to have my CSI)
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
That's it. If Kay likes it, I'm ordering.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Ha! Twasn't me although it coulda been, HPLHS is about 10 minutes away from me.

I am going to interview them for Mind Over Magic, Sean has already agreed. Although it won't be a normal interview...MUWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Just you wait and see Smile
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Wow!! Just watched for the first time. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you think about these things), I watched it at home, alone, in the dark, and now must go lock the doors. Very, very cool. It's amazing the garbage that gets made with millions of dollars that can't provoke that feeling in me. Yet this little movie, made on, as Kay pointed out, a shoe string budget, has me turning on all the lights in the house so I can go to the bathroom. Geez. You guys need to spend the $20 and get this.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
The old ones will be "pleased" that you enjoyed it! BWA HA HAAAAAA!
(And how about those out-takes!)
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "Call of Cthulhu" Movie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL