The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A new peek wallet on the market !!! Brain Scan Wallet (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Not sure, ask Hank Lee!
Thanks for your interest!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I got this today, and so far my feelings are mixed. First the pros: It works as promised. It's a simple matter to get a clean peek from a card that's folded in half, or even in quarters. (The quarter fold is never mentioned in the instructions, but it's easy enough to work out with a bit of thought.) And the quality of materials and craftsmanship is first-rate. Top marks for that.

Now the drawbacks. The description says you put the folded card in the outside pocket of the wallet, where it remains sticking out in full view. This is true. However, when I read it, I assumed that the outside pocket would be similar to the outside pocket on a regular business card wallet (or the Caper Case or Zingg Wallet for that matter), i.e. a pocket that runs the entire length, but only about 2/3 the width, of the closed wallet, intended to hold regular (unfolded) cards. Not so. It's actually a smaller pocket, just big enough to accomodate a folded-in-half card. While this doesn't affect the working, it does make the case look unlike any normal business card wallet I've ever seen. Would a spectator notice the difference? I don't know because I haven't tried it yet, but my instinct is that a pocket that's obviously specifically meant to hold a folded-in-half card might draw some unwanted attention to itself, which a more ordinary-looking pocket wouldn't. What's more, it seems to me (bearing in mind I'm no leather worker) that the pocket could have been made like a normal pocket with no effect on the workings. I don't understand why the usual design for a business card wallet would have been changed to one that looks unusual and, frankly, a little bit "proppy."

The other drawback is that NWing with it is about like NWing with the Zingg, i.e. technically possible but kind of a pain. The DWing option is easier, but isn't always a viable alternative.

Overall first impression (subject to revision upon further experimentation, of course): It has its good points, but for me it will probably be reserved for emergency backup duty when I can't remember where I left my SUC.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Quinn.

Interesting thoughts ...!

Can it be compated to a SUC ?

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Quinn , I understand what you mean when you ask if the wallet looks like a "normal " one.
But I ask what is a "normal" wallet?

Last time I bought a wallet for myself I was suprised to see so many kinds of wallet on the market for everyday use by "lay persons".Colors,sizes,types and so on.There is awallet for each one.

I ask myself if the real issue is not the casual way the wallet and the full routine is handle .

I would understand that the look of the wallet would be an issue if it was the same as the very
first Himber wallet I got as a young magi.Brown plastic kind of cheap wallet....

I read somewhere someone said that the Stealth wallet (sold by Peter Nardi) does not really look like a normal american wallet.I have one and you can find the same at Wal-Mart.

So where is the real issue???
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
RIVARDJLR, great points added to the discussion. Thanks!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
The routine "Thought" (design duplication) from Garrett Thomas on volume 2 of his 3 DVD set is an interesting exemple.In this trick he uses I think a SUC from Strivings.

The handling of the wallet is not a concern. It is pretty casual.The design duplication is the most important part of the routine. Garrett's thinking is worth getting this DVd.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2005-11-06 10:33, RIVARDJLR wrote:
Quinn , I understand what you mean when you ask if the wallet looks like a "normal " one.
But I ask what is a "normal" wallet?

A good question. When I said normal, I was talking about the kind of business card wallets I see at department stores and office supply stores (which I always browse through when I pass by them, to see if I'm struck with an ingenious way to gaff any of them Smile ). The Brain Scan looks noticeably, though not glaringly, different than any I've seen.

Quote:
I ask myself if the real issue is not the casual way the wallet and the full routine is handle .

That is certainly part, or even most, of the issue, and I don't doubt that the wallet can be used effectively and deceptively with the proper handling. But the appearance does give users something else to consider and deal with, which other peek wallets don't make them consider and deal with. I mention it not to knock the wallet, which I think is a quality product that many people will love, but to provide readers here with a detail that I would have liked to have known before I ordered the wallet.

As for comparing it with the SUC, there's some overlap, as well as some things that each can do that the other can't. Obviously, you can peek with both of them, and the peek areas are comparable (though not identical) depending on how you handle them. The mechanics of the peeks are different, and some people might like one more than the other, but there's no way to tell without trying them both. One of the main selling points for the BS (hmm, wonder if the creators thought of that when they picked the name) seems to be the ability to have the peeked card folded. I should point out that this is also possible with the SUC, with the card folded either in half or in quarters, though not many people seem to have noticed it. (Or maybe those who have just aren't talking.) Furthermore, the SUC gives you the option of peeking from a folded or unfolded card, where the BS requires the card to be folded. One of the BS's inner pockets can be used as a billet index in the same way that the extra pockets on the SUC 2 (but not the original SUC) can. NWing seems considerably easier with the SUC than with the BS, though of course I haven't practiced much with the BS. You can't steal, load or switch billets with the BS like you can with the SUC. However, the BS lets you double write write between the built-in notepad and a folded card, which you can't do with the SUC.

So as with most things, which one you'll like more will depend on your preferences and priorities. For me, the SUC will remain my utility business card wallet of choice, but I'm glad to have the BS as a backup.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Hi Quinn . Your thouhts make sense.I am waiting now to get mine.
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
151 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
Some great ideas here for using any wallet. I have a handling for a folded business card in the SUC that will be published in Mark Strivings forthcoming book on additional handlings for SUC. More great minds thinking alike!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
That's funny. Since I was thinking about it, I just wrote up my handling and sent it to Mark, with the caveat that "someone else has probably thought of this too by now, but in case I'm the first, here you go..." Ah well.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I wonder if the Assassin will replace the SUC since it is difficult to find anymore.
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Hello,
I have performed with the "Brain Scan wallet" in thousands of performances, & not one person has ever questioned the small pocket on the outside of the wallet! Just thought I would let you know. It is a time tested prop that has earned me many repeat bookings! Thanks again for your interest!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
I'm wavering between the Brain Scan and the Stealth Assassin.

One question (which I'd prefer answered in a PM since I don't want anything revealed here that's going to compromise secrecy): I'm NOT into electronics, and don't even want to carry them around with me.

With that in mind, is either the BS or the SA wallet outside of what I'm looking for?

Thanks for any information!
Josh
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
NO electronics is involved in BSw or SA.

It is not like thought trans...
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
No Electronics used in the Assassin.

Peter
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Great, thank you both.

--Josh
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Josh,

Just a heads up. We have less than 10 units left from the first batch of Assassins.

Regards

Peter
PS The second batch will be ready early Feb 2006
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Peter,

About the same time you were posting this, I placed my order for an SA. Smile I'm glad I got in under the wire.

Greatly looking forward to receiving it!

Best regards,
Josh
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Thank you for your support Josh! I pre sold around 10 units to people who I know are real workers. Some full time mentalists and a couple of working pro magicians. The ffedback I have had from them has been fantastic. They all love it and are constantly coming up with new ideas and routines. This is a very exciting project for me and I am looking forward to hearing what routines and ideas Assassin owners will come up with !

Best Regards

Peter
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Peter,

Quick question -- I ordered from the regular Alakazam site instead of the Alakazam-USA site. (I'm in New York.) Does it make a difference (shipping rates, etc.)?

--Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A new peek wallet on the market !!! Brain Scan Wallet (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL