The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Jay Scott Berry Silk Fountain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hey All,
I am looking for a silk fountain to purchase and like the idea of showing the hands empty then going into the fountain. Anyone have this item and could you advise how you like it? Thank you!
Tony
Captain Jack
View Profile
New user
Sacramento
53 Posts

Profile of Captain Jack
It works as good as others. The benefit of this one is you start with empty hands and go nowhere near your table or pockets. However, I will admit I haven't used it in over a year because my current costume has long sleeves that are tight at the wrist and I don't use a jacket.
Every man be a fool for 10 minutes each day. The trick is not in exceedin' the time limit!

Properly warned ye be, says I!
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hi Captain Jack,
Thank you for the info. Sounds like a prop I will invest in. Thanks again!
Tony
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
What size silks are used in this version?
Thanks!
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
The silks are (I believe) 24" diamond cut. Very nice and the fountain is awesome! I Love it!
Tony
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It is easy to measure and see what size a diamond cut silk really is.

Size Diamond Cut ---- Measures diagonally ----- Looks like
------ 9"------------------- 18" ------------------- 12" square
----- 12" ------------------ 25" ------------------- 18" square
----- 18" ------------------ 37" ------------------- 24" square
----- 24" ------------------ 47" ------------------- 36" square

As the importer I have become quite concerned over dealers mislabeling them and over-charging for the wrong size diamond cut silk. Informed consumers can overcome this.

DoveLite silks are correctly labeled in the paper #10 window envelopes with the DoveLite trademark on them. The silks sold in the clear generic packages we are finding too frequently are being incorrectly described and priced after reaching the wholesle customer (magic dealer to the consumer). Dealers can charge all they can get you to pay. Our concern is the mislabeling of the size of the product. That unfairly hurts all silk magic dealers and disappoints consumers.

Retail prices for diamond cut silks should be about the same as the price of the square silk it imulates. Thus, one that appears to be an 18" square silk and measures 25" diagonally should retail for $4.50-6.00 depending on the markup taken by the retailer. (The same would be true of an 18" square pure China silk with the good flat 2mm hem.)

Diagonal measurements are never used by ethical dealers to describe diamond cut silks. It's your money. Be careful. Get what you bought.

Most professionals use 18" squares and a few 24" square silks in a silk fountain. Many of the more common commercially available silk fountains are made from 12" square silks.

Diamond cut silks have the advantage of using the same number of colors in much less space than square silks would require. This is the advantage of the Jay Scott Berry Silk Fountain. They are a very popular first silk fountain.

Ultimately, you will find that most professional stage magicians use square silks in their silk fountains. They are usually custom made. Some make their own.

Enjoy your silk magic. Silk fountains are beautiful.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hi Bob,
You never fail to amaze me with your knowledge about silks! Thank you for the info! I'm sure others will benefit from your post. Thank you!
Tony
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thanks Tony,

Thanks too for the email. I hope you do catch my lecture up there April 29, 2006. I look forward to meeting you in person.

One more thing we did not point out is that a diamond cut 12" or a 9" square silk can fit into a TT. Sometimes it matters.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Jay Scott Berry Silk Fountain (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL