The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Double Deception Repair Tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4861 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I have Bob Swadling's Double Deception and think very highly of the gaff. After about a year and a half the tension in one of the two bands decreased so the flipper would close but not as rapidly as is needed in some effects. I changed the bands according to Bob's instructions and it works like new. In his instructions he mentions Evo-Stic Cleaner and Evo-Stik adhesive. These may be UK products. Anyway, I loosened the adhesive by soaking it in laquer thinner. I removed the rubber band fragments with a thin piece of flexible metal. I used contact cement to reattach the pieces and everything took about 15 minutes. Works like a charm now.
Jamie Schoolcraft
View Profile
Regular user
Palmdale, CA
136 Posts

Profile of Jamie Schoolcraft
Larry,

Brakleen from the auto parts store will work perfectly. I would also recommend using double-stick tape, with the permanent adhesive. If you would like a complete repair PDF let me know I'd be happy to email it to you. It mainly applies to my coin, but should also work for Bob's.

Take Care,
Jamie
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
I believe that the insrtuctions in Bob's latest releases of DD also recommend the use of double-sided tape, as Jamie suggests. This has to be a better solution, as the thought of permanent adhesive around expensive gaffs gives me the shivers.

Ian
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4861 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Hi Ian,
I certainly wouldn't use epoxy or even Crazy Glue on it but the bond from rubber cement or contact cement is easily broken with soaking in solvent for a few minutes. Double sided tape should work well but you should handle the pieces with tweezers because oil from your fingers can prevent the stuff from sticking to the coin.
Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Double Deception Repair Tips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL