The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Bad Mistake.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I was negotiating through email to perform at a corporate christmas party, entertaining the children. It seemed to be going well and they were going to present my proposal to their committee. However they delayed in getting back to me and then had the committee meeting postponed.

After 3 weeks someone called me, and I was not at my computer so wasn't sure of all the details and what quote I had given them.
In the meantime I had gotten two other bookings for that day.
In this phone call, the representative of the company now offered me more than the other bookings in order to get me. I thanked them and said that I don't cancel any bookings once they are made.
After a bit of talking it became apparent that I might be able to provide one hour in the morning.
I asked them (my first mistake) how much my quote had been. She said $340. So I said, ok, I'll do this for $230.
Later I looked over the emails and I hadn't quoted $340 for three hours, as I had orininally thought I had, but $340 for one hour. (and they were willing to pay more!)
I have yet to get a confirmation email from her, but I am wondering if I should just bite my tongue and accept it, or point out that I had already quoted $340 for the hour.
What would you do?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You must be a man of your word, no matter what. If you were not at your computer, then you should have said, I will call you right back or excuse yourself, put them on hold and go to your computer.

Why you would offer them less in the first place. This is the holiday season. So, if I understand you, you will have 2 evening shows and still have the show for $230.

I would not wait for them to contact you, you should contact them by telephone. Send them a contact or confirmation notice, with a request for a reply.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Tom- Call em up now not in 10 minutes

If their is possible futue work from them then tough luck and do it for a lower fee

if you not too fused about the gig- go back to your original quote and appologise as you didn't have the event details in front although this is probably no the best thing to do

as a last alternative cancel call them and send them to http://www.icentertainment.com - I can provide quality shows for adults, I do charge bit but I am 100% Guaranteed
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Do the show, whether for a lower fee or not, and make them glad they got you and you went! In the end, make them want you back next year.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
If you make a customer feel as though you've done a "bait and switch," you probably will lose them as well as setting up an opportunity for poor refferals. Tell them you don't remember what you said and you look un-professional.

Stick by the quote, perhaps explaining that they received a discount because you were scheduling them based on your convienience, not their preference.

Best bet, take the dough, do the show and never offer a quote without being sure of what you've said in the past.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Thanks guys.

My greatest concern is to come accross professional, so I don't want to appear to have made a mistake. I'll probably go with the quote I gave on the phone, do my very best at the performance and hope I'll get called back next year.

There's also some good tips for avoiding the same mistake, particularly from wmhegbli, just hang up and tell them that I'll call them straight back once I have all the details in front of me.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
I would have given you 5% of the gig

but I didn't get the call

:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Bad Mistake.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL