The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Motor for Head Twister (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2212 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I would like to build a head twister which will revolve by itself using a motor. Can you give me ideas how to go about it? Thanks!
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
578 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Begin by taking your motion sickness pills . . . Oh never mind.
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hi Lou,

I built a Twister that's Automated.

The head box is revolved by a 12V Motor that I found at a Surplus Store. I think that it once belonged to a Car Windshield wiper or something.

I then atttached a pulley to the end of the motor and a large wooden pulley on the bottom of the head box (that I made myself). I used a belt, around the pulleys to take the force from the motor and turn the box. All this runs off of a motorcycle battery. Works Great. I did have to install a Rhestat to control the speed of the motor though.

Michael Berends
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Lou,
Try C&H sales in Pasadena, CA. They have a lot of surplus gearmotors. You want a slow rpm with a high torque and dc powered.

Using a double pull double throw switch, you can reverse the polarity to the motor and reverse the rotation of the motor making it spin the opposite direction. Most of these motors are 6, 12 or 24 volt. If run the motor at a lower voltage it, drops the rpm. The reostat is good idea to vary the rotation speed.

You can also do some varying of the speed by using gearing on the motor and the box unit.

The windshield motors are a good cheap alternative though your are more limited in the speed sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I'm building one right now. I made a bracket to attach a cordless drill to the side of the box. Where the crank goes, I mounted a large bicycle sprocket. I'll mount a small sprocket in the drill bit and drive it with a bicycle chain.

Oliver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Motor for Head Twister (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL