The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Saved by the dancing hank (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Phew oh wahat a horrible gig

I love it when they book you for 9 at night say they are running 10 minutes behind scedual and you start performing at 11.30

Lots and lots and lots of drink in 2 hours of boring speeches.

My stage show started ok but as soon as it moved into audience participation mode and people actually had to stand- this is when the problems started to happen

but after a horrific time on stage- my closer is what shut them up and made them take notice- the Dancing Hank

Thank god for the dancing hank and thank you Sean
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I am sorry to hear you had one of THOSE type of shows we have all run into from time to time. I am glad you were able to get through it and had a killer ending with the dancing hank.

My wife and I have a similar type of coporate show coming up and I think it will be the same way. Infact I kind of senses it might fall into the lines of what happened to you, so I specifically made sure to ask the agent to ask the client, exactly what the client's end goal is for the event. It turns out that they would not mind if I did less audience participtaion bits and just did stuff where they could enjoy the show from their seats etc. I am cool with that as long as I know up front so I can gear the show that way.

Glad you were able to have a great ending to the gig and I wish you all the best in the future.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Great job in a very difficult situation!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I only do children shows but living in Eilat, a holiday resort in israel, functions such as this are common and I get a lot of bookings to entertain the kids at the same time that the adults are being entertained usualy by a famous local israeli bandsinger.
I have gotten to know this market well enough by now and they know me and they have learned over time to give me the most acurate time of the start of my performance because I charge them by the hour and not by the show.
also, tired kids will fall asleep if they cant keep their ayes open but children who are awake when I eventualy perform liven up even more when I begin my show. kids love magic more than anyone else.
Either way, I'm glad to know that I am not alone with this frustrating occurance.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Yep If they are drinking (the adults not the kids) then it's got to be pure visual

I do an effect that I saw David Copperfield do- with the 8 cards and they shuffle them up and deal them out and the cad eventually ends up at the 3rd from the top- well Drunk people can't do this very well

Hand eye coordination is lacking
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Sean's hank system is the cat's ass. However in my experience I usually found the more people drank the better my illusions looked and the more they enjoyed the themselves and the more they laughed. This is why most comic night clubs, dish out the booze, the more they drink the funnier the stand up comics seem. Its interesting to see how drinking audiences can go either way. A good topic.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1712 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I did a movie shoot rap party in a crypt of a church not too long ago!

Was supposed to go on around 9.30 -finally ended up going on after persuading the organiser to get a move on!!-Finally went on at 11.45pm

I was ready for bed & luckily I was doing it more as a favour which is probably why they treated us so crap!!

Learnt some lessons here though-Increase the fee!! & ensure a start time !!
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Peter Loughran

Actually that's how they make money- By selling booze
If they could do it without the comedian -they would

what does Cat's Ass mean- is this good or bad.

Please speak in Australian

Comedians usually just stand their and talk- but if you have to get people up on stage- this causes problems some would say - you gotta have better audience management- but everyone was drunk- they lived close to the venue and their was abooze bus taking them home after the event- so they didn't need to drive is they could drink whatever they wanted all night- and they did
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Quote:
...the more they drink the funnier the stand up comics seem. Its interesting to see how drinking audiences can go either way. A good topic.

An interesting fact. the more they drink, the funnier they seem. Not the funnier they are. For audiences that are especially tipsy (to refer to them as kindly as I can) the show is more about marking time than working solid entertainment. Their capacity to track an effect diminishes significantly, so the only thing you have to fall back on are sight gags and the like.

The worst late start I had was for an organiztion's annual dinner/meeting. I was supposed to go on right after dinner, but one member had surprised everyone by bringing about a million slides he had taken of his tour in the first Iraq war. When the lights came up at the end, about an hour and 15 minutes later, there was a massive exodus from the room. I was left with about 14 people. About 4 in the front row, about 4 on the side wall, and about 6 in the back row. When I asked everyone to make themselves comfortable down in front, no one moved. My usually 30 minute show was over in about 13 minutes. It was the worst gig I've ever played.

I agree that there needs to be a mutually agreed upon start time, or at least "window of opportunity".
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-11-01 15:09, Peter Loughran wrote:
Sean's hank system is the cat's ass.

LOL! What? Is that a Canadian thing? Hehehehe. I'm from big ole' Texas and haven't heard that. Can I borrow it? I'll use often and well! Around here when something is great one can say "That's the sh**!" and mean great things by it.

I think I'll use Peter's expression as it'll be a bit out of the ordinary and keep 'em on their feet.

Forever Plaid thanks for the reminder on start times. Starting on time and with hopefully a sober crowd is a nice treat for the performer who is prepared to deliver a solid performance. Good communication with the event coordinator should help alleviate most of those problems and provide a performance the audience can walk away from saying "That's the cat's ass!".....
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
LOL!
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Actually instead of having a mutually agreed start time

Have a mutually agreed Finish time

I'm going home at 9:30 even if you start my show at 9:20 so it's up to the organiser to get you on.

This aleviates most problems ( but make sure you get paid in advance)
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-11-02 21:48, icentertainment wrote:
I'm going home at 9:30 even if you start my show at 9:20

Now I'm just teasin' ya but when you say the above, do you find it best to pout a little while standing in a corner? LOL
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Pouting in highly underestimated as a form of persuasion

but you must put your hands on your hips or it loses impact
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Saved by the dancing hank (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL