The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Butterflies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
I am looking for resources/books/articles/whatever might help me with taming butterflies - handling butterflies.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
You can tame butterflies???? I had no idea. Is this really true???
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Not as in TAME, but handling, what should I do, don't, etc etc, how to "load", what to use? I am looking for a stone to butterfly effect here...

No really!!
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
Try getting in touch with Andrew Goldenhersh, he's got a pretty killer butterfly effect...
DANSPERRY.COM
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
I saw Andrew hung out last Friday (Hallooween night) at Magic Castle, Hooray...You must see his close up act. He produced a butterfly from an origamy and it's beautful when you see it came to life and flutter down to audience. Contact him at http://www.goldenhands.com/
GOLDEN HANDS ENTERTAINMENT
8721 Santa Monica Boulevard, #112
Los Angeles, California 90069

(800) 480-7586
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Thank you guys!

No really!!
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Pkg,

Butterflies have a 2 - 3 week life span. They are a pain to keep, requiring Milk Weed as worms for their survival, be ready to spend money on some weeds that grow in Texas. As adults they eat sugar water such as Gatorade, contact a local breeder in your area that sells them for wedding releases.

For magic they can be thumb palmed for a production, clip them with their wings closed sorta like thumb palming a coin. Then use your imagination for an effect.

G0THIKE
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
Be careful some butterfly species have very delicate wings
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
I didn't know this was possible.
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I once traveled this path too. It was just too much trouble deal with it.

You can't train butterflies. You just have to learn to handle and care for them.
You are better off using moths.You can't handle the wings without damaging them.
They have a very limited life span. You can't do the effects anytime. Extreme preparation is needed.
Feeding is not a problem however. You can use the same nectar you use for humming birds and it must be fresh and sterile.

There is an effect in one of the Art of Astonishment books (I think #2) called Creation. You take a napkin and fold it into a cocoon and when you break it open a live moth flies out. Pretty effect but difficult to deal with due to all the negatives of dealing with moths and butterflies. You obviously can't set up but a couple minutes in advance.
Daniel Faith
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
I liked the cocoon effect, but didn't want to let an insect loose in my venue. With my luck it would be a female moth ready to lay a clutch of eggs.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Pkg,

You can check out this guy for a source. I have met him at a function and his butterflies are for effect and release. If you are serious about this and do it in the proper environment, he can supply all your butterfly needs.

http://www.monarchbutterfly.com/monarchweddings.htm

All the best,

Rob
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Any EXTRA fast shipping? I live in Lebanon it takes at least 6 days using EXPRESS! thank you for the advice guys! I think I would be better off without it till someone starts "raising" them here (now that's another business idea for me!)

No really!!
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
If you buy Monarchs buy lots of Milk Weed, the butterflies lay tiny eggs in the leaves of the Milk Weed, then they hatch and the caterpillars eat the leaves of the Milk Weed like crazy. They then cacoon on the Milk Weed. Their whole life evolves around Milk Weed till they metamorph.

G0THIKE
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Just a quick update, if someone is interested I posted a solution in the "triple dare" section! works like charm!

No really!!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3398 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
This has been a most interesting post. I have learned a lot about butterflies from here and the link to the Canadian producer.Thanks for the information.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
PKG

Try this site for Calloway Gardens. It may save you a lot of time and mistakes.

http://www.naba.org/orgwed.html

Ask for:

Cynthia Mazer
Director, Day Butterfly Center

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
How about producing a cockroach from the cocoon thing? Or one of those ugly horned beetles? A white mouse? Smile
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Bob: thank you! but the fastest shipping to Lebanon would take 7 days (express) which by that time, all my butterflies would be "lifeless"...

Bill : check out one of my posts in the bizarre section, I turned bread into something really hideous Smile

No really!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Butterflies (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL