The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Top tips for busking magic ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
I'm thinking I will give busking magic a whirl soon - what are your top tips everyone??

thanks

felix
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Just a couple of things from me.

1. Get ahold of Bro Paul West's DVD "A Brother Paul Trio" from http://www.brotherpaulmagic.com/

2. Get ahold of Gazzo's cups and balls routine. from Magicpitch.com

3. In busking it is not the magic, it is the entertaining. Be entertaining, be funny, enjoy yourself, and you will make it as a busker.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2038 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
You have to be very single minded at first.

So I would say drop the word "whirl".

Keep it simple what ever you plan to do.

Slow down, then slow down again and again.

A good read is "The Secret Art of Magic" by Eric Evans & Nowlin Craver.

The best place to learn is on the street's.

Do you have an idea of a show outlay?

Mario
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Cellini's Art of Street performing series 1, 2, or 3 will tell you a lot about the realities of street performing.

Gazzos Krowd Keepers is also a must have.

Decide what you are going to do before you go do it.

What will you do to stop people? Your opener has to be visual and pleasing to the eye...

What will you do to entertain and keep them? (1, 2 or 3 effects)

How will you wow them into opening their wallets at the end? What is your big finish?

Look around here in past posts too for other excellent tips and if you decide you can make some money busking, come back with more specific questions that after you search this forum, havent already been answered 100 times.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
Felix,

I've got a whole bunch of tips for you on my web page.

http://starry.com/magic/street.htm

Enjoy.
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Ace,

Great webpage! I love the photos. Thanks for sharing it.

Jason
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2005-11-02 06:25, Paddy wrote:
Just a couple of things from me.

1. Get ahold of Bro Paul West's DVD "A Brother Paul Trio" from http://www.brotherpaulmagic.com/

2. Get ahold of Gazzo's cups and balls routine. from Magicpitch.com

3. In busking it is not the magic, it is the entertaining. Be entertaining, be funny, enjoy yourself, and you will make it as a busker.

Peter

I would agree with the first and last ones but why is Gazzo's routine a must? I've seen many magicians do...and do it well, but I would not say it is a must!
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
961 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Nicholas Johnson wrote:

I would agree with the first and last ones but why is Gazzo's routine a must? I've seen many magicians do...and do it well, but I would say it is a must!
____________________________________________________________________________________

I agree with everyone else as well, it's not the tricks, but rather the entertaining of the specs. I saw Nick Nickolas last year in Australia, and he was great. Mind you it was 40 in the shade that day as well. The tricks have to be solid, but mixed with the banter with the crowd really gives them a bigger lift. At least my small contribution.

All the best, JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
www.al-kazam.com
Also on Facebook
www.facebook.com/magicianAlKazam
felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
Thank you people - very useful...

I have another question.... is busking a good moneyspinner??? (not that I am totally mercenary by the way)

Felix
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Nicholas I don't recall anyone saying Gazzo's routine is a must.

Paddy said get the cups and balls routine. Good advice. He didn't say it was a must.

I said the Crowd Keepers book is a must. I didn't say his routine was must.

But the Crowd Keepers book isn't about a routine. It is an extremely useful tool containing a great deal of information about stopping, and managing a crowd that isn't known to most starting buskers. Therefore, if you are starting out, as the originator of this thread indicated, it is a must, if you would rather learn from someone else's experience and mistakes rather than spend years learning from your own. Another reason why I suggested it, is that it is relatively inexpensive.

If someone is doing fine without it, so be it. There are lots of guys out there who have never read Gazzo's book, and don't do anything like what Gazzo does. They are a lot like the guy in NY City that got hit by a taxi. The taxi driver jumps out, looks down, puts a cushion under the guy's head and asks him; are you comfortable? The guy looks up and says; I make a nice living...Smile

You can make a nice living, but why learn the hard way? Between Cellini, Chris Capehart, Kozmo, and now Gazzo, tapes, books and personal teaching by all of them, I learned things that would have taken me a lifetime, if I had been smart enough to learn them myself, in just a couple of years.

I did pretty good before I got my hands on Gazzo's stuff, but I am already doing better because of; the crowd keeper book, his one liners, and his teaching on Cups and Balls, egg bag, cards, etc. I had plenty experience before I read his stuff, and I said before I had teaching from a couple of other pretty good buskers before him. So someone seeing me performing might have said, "he don't need no stinkin Gazzo...." But I wanted to get even better. And Gazzo has made me much better, and I am just getting started again after his Master Class, where I learned a lot more than cups and balls.

Like all advice and opinions. Take what works for you and ignore the rest. We were just trying to give the original poster helpful opinions. And I stand by my statement that if you are just starting out like the original poster, and want to be effective as quickly as possible, then the Gazzo book; Crowd Keeping is a must.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
Starry I love your site. Thank you I spent 15 minuets
reading and learning. I admire your style.
Thanks again Magic Tad
felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
Starry, I love your site - you're an inspiration

f
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Top tips for busking magic ??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL