The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Teaching Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I just got a call from a good client who I have worked with in the past. Her son is very into magic and has received "several" magic kits for birthday and holiday presents. The client asked if I would teach 6 or 8 kids some magic at her son's 9th birthday party in January. I told her that this is not normally what I do, but I would give it some thought and get back to her in a couple of days.

While I've taught magic to kids in the past I have not done so in a birthday party setting. I'm certainly willing to give this a try and would like to know if anyone else has done this type of thing. If so, any tips you have would be appreciated.

Right off the bat, I'm thinking that we need to set up 'class' in a room that is away from presents, baloons, party favors, etc...

I'd also appreciate any recommendations you may have for what to teach a group of 8 and 9 year olds. She's asked me to teach them 3 or 4 tricks. Thanks for your help.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Tony, have you seen this thread? Some of your answers might be there.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Hello, I do many many class/parties
I usually start by having them stretch there hands then teach them how to pull the tip of the thumb off(yes uncles everywhere will be mad at you)
then I pass out paper bags so they can keep there stuff in, then I teach them how to throw an invisible ball in the air and catch it in the bag, they can hear it land in the bag.
then a skill trick, french drop etc.
mind reading crayons
fortune telling fish
then pass out magic wands!
this is my simple class and with proper patter etc. this will last well over an hour!
pass out magic trick sheets, ed Harris etc.
hope that helps
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Donald,
Thanks for that link. The information there was very helpful.

Tony

www.anthonysisti.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Happy to have been of help, Tony!

I know the size of this place can be overwhelming at times, and people don't realize the topic might have just been discussed elsewhere.

Don't forget what Den Dowhy said on the other thread. In addition to the DVD by James Munton, I know that Eddy Wade has a kit out on how to teach a magic class (note - Eddy does not have a website, but if you PM me, I can send you contact info). I think that Brian Flora or Dave Risley might also have something out on the topic.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Donald,
I've placed an order with James for his DVD. If the information in the DVD doesn't cover all my needs I'll PM you for the information. Thank you, again, for your help.

Tony

www.anthonysisti.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I just finished a summer season working two resorts -- one for the 14th year! One resort hired me just to present a one-hour magic class during the week all summer long. I've also taught magic through children's theater groups in two different states, and presented the same program for countless PTAs and other school groups. So, I have more than a little experience in this area. I'd be happy to share details if anyone cares to PM me.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Ed Wade's kit is really a lot of good magic. He uses Nicholas Einhorn's book purchased at Borders Bookstore "The Practical Encyclopedia of Magic" ($5.95) It is the cheap books area and if you buy three you get one free.

If you teaching a great magic class, with bonifide magic from a book like mentioned above, then you must charge for the Kit you supply. With some String, foam cups, craft supplies, String, sugar cubes, and lots of other easy to get items, you can have a summer weekly magic camp.

Don't look for the book in Borders Online, I did, and it isn't listed, and it lists elswhere for a lot more. Go to a Borders near you. I usually buy them all out and use this boook as a teaching book.

An Alternative book is Mark Wilson's book.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Teaching Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL