The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Reed McClintock's New Coin Manuscript? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I got the manuscript few days ago, and working out the routines with swedish currency. Nicely done Reed, beautiful produced with clear photos.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Maybe I can provide some specifics for the curious. Reed asked me to check the manuscript for spelling errors and such, so I've had a sneak peek at the contents.

Trans Euro Express is the effect that took the FFFF crowd by a storm. It's simple, it's magical, it's visual, and frankly, it's pretty easy to do. It doesn't require massive technical chops or presentational abilities, which is surprising considering the effect:

Three copper coins are in a row on the table. Closer to the magician, a similar row of silver coins. The magician cleanly covers one of the silver coins with a playing card. Then, by simply waving his hand over the coins, he causes the copper coins to change to silver, and the silver coins change to copper, even the silver coin under the card.

The copper coins are all covered with the card. Again, the silver coins visibly change to copper one at a time, leaving all three silvers under the card.

Finally, the three silvers are covered. The three coppers are placed together in a group. One wave of the hand, and they all instantly change to silver. Believe it or not, the three silvers under the card are now copper.

And that's just the first routine. There are three others, each one exploring a different aspect of the basic premise. As I recall, none of the routines require special coins, or extras. No lapping, no sleeves, and you could do most of the effects with one hand tied behind your back.

If you're a fan of the David Roth "Chink-a-Chink" aka "Barehanded Assembly" aka "Shadow Coins" awka "Matrix" routines, Trans Euro Express is the next step in your evolution. Evolve or die, baby.

It's remarkable how much magic Reed gets out of the simple principles involved. You'll learn this very quickly, perform it soon after that, and before you know it, you'll be developing your own effects using the basic principles. It's that kind of routine.

Okay, a quick and admittedly biased review. Any questions?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Can this be done on a table without close-up pad or noise from the table?
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4858 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Curtis,
Sounds like a magnificent routine Reed devised. One clarification please. You said no "extras". It sounded like you were implying there were only 3 silver coins and 3 copper coins and no extra coins at all. Did you mean no extra apparatus, gimmicks etc.?
Larry
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Sorry Larry, I meant all of the above. No extra coins, no apparatus, no gimmicks, no added sugar, you know. You could do it with three borrowed dimes, three borrowed pennies, and a business card. Sure would draw people in.

Regarding noise from the table, that's really a matter of personal variance. Routines of this sort do make some noise, but whether it's percievable depends on the table, the coins, and the level of background noise. You probably wouldn't want to practice in a library, but Reed did it quite a lot on bare wood tables in pubs.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If it wasn't Reed and Curtis involved, I wouldn't beleive it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Sounds pretty sweet! I'll probably get hammered for saying this but I bought Roth's Expert Coin Magic for $55. I think I bought Kaufman's Coinmagic for $35 or $40. Is it just me or does $50 see a little steep for 4 routines?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think it depends on the material. Reed is known for killer technique and routines. If it's material you'll use, then it will be worth it.

When Curtis Kam says "If you're a fan of the David Roth "Chink-a-Chink" aka "Barehanded Assembly" aka "Shadow Coins" aka "Matrix" routines, Trans Euro Express is the next step in your evolution" I listen!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Ixnay, no hammer here, I hate the fact that things cost what they do. But first, you have to remember, COINMAGIC and Expert Coin Magic are both over 20 years old. Now, of course, they're the steal of the century if you haven't read them. But back in the 80's the $55 (I think I paid closer to $65) hurt a lot more than the $40 does now.

The collection books are always your best buy in magic. But just because you can get the Dover edition of Bobo's MCM for $9 doesn't make COINMAGIC overpriced, nor is it any comment on the relative value of anything released today.

Twenty years from now, Reed might put together a big book of his collected works. Trans Euro will be in there, and it will probably sell for the equivallent of $40 or $55 now. Then one might compare values fairly.

So yes, the classics are great buys. But once you've taken advantage of them, you still have to pay a premium to get cutting edge material while it's still on the edge. Compare the price of the individual Stars of Magic releases to the cost of the collected edition today. And don't forget to adjust for 1950's prices. Talk about a bargain, sheesh.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4858 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Curtis speaks wisdom once again. If you can take away from Reed's manuscript even one effect that you make your own and use in your repertoir, you've gotten much more value than a precision made trick or gimmick you play with and relegate to a dusty draw. As another example, consider Routined Manipulation Finale by Louis Ganson. The Fred Kaps Coins and Glass Routine is worth multiple times the price I paid for that book. With Reed's manuscript, copper and silver coins change places using pocket change and nothing else. Sounds like a gem of a routine.
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Okays, this sounds very interesting, are there any more unbiased reviews?

Peo could you tell us a bit more bout what you think?

Reed, just wanted to ask, Is Trans Euro taught on your FFFF dvd? If it is, should I get the dvd for the same price for the other routines? or are not all the routines in the manuscript on the dvd? Thanks...
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Any updates on this from those that have played with it?

I see it is on Hocus Pocus now.

Thanks,
Mike
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
I too would like to know about the other routines?

Are they all similar to the "Bare-handed assembly?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Reed McClintock's New Coin Manuscript? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL