The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Duane Laflin Moving His Mail Order Business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Just received the latest issue of "Happy Magic" & "Seeing Truth" and Duane says he is closing Laflin Magic on December 31. No more newsletters, no more mail order or internet sales.

He says his daughter will carry his stuff at her site lockfamilymagic.com

Bummer! He was a great resource.

DeWayne

Posted: Nov 3, 2005 9:21am
------------------------------------------------
Looks like lockfamilymagic.com is not a functioning site yet.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Does anyone else have any information about this?

Regan
Mister Mystery
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
He says .."I need a break from being under monthly deadlines." "It's time to do some things differently." "Mary and I have decided to simplify."

He and Mary purchased a building(s) in Montana and plan to have a theatre show. He said they do plan to attend conventions and sell items there, but no more mail order. Doug and Jon (Laflin employees) are moving on to other things.

Send me aPM with your email, I may be able to send you a PDF of his News and notes. You can read it for yourself.

-DeWayne
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
They haven't made the announcement on their website yet.

I am sad to hear this. I have a list of items I want from him, and was going to purchase some this Christmas, and into the spring. I was also going to subscribe to Seeing Truth and Happy Magic once again (I did both for one year before).

Are they going to have a blow-out / closing sale?

Do you know if they sell older issues of the magazines? If I can't subscribe for the future, perhaps I can get some older copies that I am missing.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
My guess is that they are not doing updating on the website.

They have a special deal on the "ORIGINAL" Seeing Truth (it was more magazine like). You get 12 random back issues for $10! It's a steal.

They are also selling VIDEO TAPES (NOT DVD's) @ 3 for $15 (or $7.50 each). There is a list of 21 titles to choose from. He said he would be closing out some stuff and to look in the last issue of Seeing Truth & Happy Magic for those deals.

You can place orders till December 31, then no more. Mary will be running the shop the month of December. Doug and Jon are there till the end of this month.

I'm soo bummed!
De Wayne
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
De Wayne -

I called and clarified with Jon. The "3 for $15" VHS offer is only for newsletter subscribers, but they still have certain VHS titles for $7.00 each for non-subscribers.

Some of the product line will be turned over to his daughter & husband (as you said), and they will sell the line in the new year.

- Donald
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Donald,
I feel your pain. I was also wanting to purchase some items, particularly some faether plumes. I don't feel there is a need to even call, because I was wanting some custom colors.

De Wayne,
I'm so bummed too!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
They have said that people can still get some of their items live at lectures (after Dec 31), just not by mail or website. And no back orders at lectures. If they don't have it, then you are out of luck.

As for mail or website orders in the new year, we will have to deal with the Lock family.

Regan, you can always contact their office now and ask about the custom colours, and then if necessary, contact the Lock family office in the new year, and ask again.

I asked Jon to send me a list of items they are clearing out. Guess I need to rethink my December budget. Some of that show income will be redirected to Laflin products.

- Donald
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I talked to Duane and Mary last night, and yes they are building their own theater in Montana. The newsletters are done..."No more deadlines" ... "Making time to enjoy performing"

LaflinMagic.com will still be owned by the Laflins, however, their daughter who is much more savy on web page design, and has the time to devote to the Laflin Products, will have the exclusive rights to the Laflin Products, just under a different webpage domain name.

http://www.lockfamilymagic.com

Duane and Mary will still perform at KIDabra, the lecture circuit and in their home state. Other than the domain name change and not producing the Laflin Newsletter, everything else will still stay the same.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Thanks for the info Den!
Neale - Bacon
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Neale - Bacon
I went to the webpage and it says I have to log in. How do I do that?
Neale Bacon

Ventriloquist and Magician

Burnaby BC
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

They change it for now. Most likely until the pages are completed.
Dennis Michael
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
- - - - LAFLIN MAGIC IS NOT OUT OF BUSINESS - - - - -

Well, I just received the last issues of Seeing Truth and Happy Magic. And it seems Duane is pretty "irritated by the internet jabber" (REALLY IRRITATED). Although I think we did a pretty good job here at the Café with the facts, I did post "Duane says he is closing Laflin Magic on December 31" in my original post even though I went on to clarify "No more newsletters, no more mail order or internet sales" all of which are true for laflinmagic.com. It seems he does not like the word "closing" which I am now sorry I used because I understood he was NOT going out of business.

Duane asked that we set the record straight. Here's his quote..."To set the record straight: We are not going out of business. We are only making choices to do business differently! (There is a big difference between the two things). Mary and I will continue to be Laflin Magic." He then goes on to explain what we discussed above about what they will and won't do.

If I have mislead anyone here at the Café...I am sorry... to you and Duane.

DeWayne

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Okay, I clicked on http://www.lockfamilymagic.com
and got a sign-in page, but no way to sign in, if you are not already a member.
Is there another page to go to to get started?
Thanks
Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

When I first went to the page, it was not completed and maybe, just maybe, they are putting a temporary block until the pages are complete. What I did see, seemed very impressive, but clearly it was being worked on.
Dennis Michael
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
So Smile ..., you are saying we should check back later, ... Yes?!? Smile
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
As I understand it, if all goes according to their plan, Laflin Magic and Silks still runs on their current website and mail order, in the way we are used to, until December 31, 2005.

Then in the new year, starting January 2006, we buy through the new sales reps (his daughter and husband) and their new website, if doing orders by mail or internet after that point in time. Live sales are still handled directly with Duane and Mary.

That is why the Lock Family Magic website isn't open to you yet... it's not January 2006 yet.

- Donald
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Well said Donald!
Dennis Michael
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
It is not on his Website
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
All this confusion could have been avoided if people would just contact the dealer himself before posting a bunch of comments about him closing. How about just letting Duane speak for himself rather than buzzing about it like a bunch of bees! C'mon guys, think about your actions. You probably cost Duane some business right before the holidays.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Duane Laflin Moving His Mail Order Business (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL