The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Info (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maxello
View Profile
New user
Norway
60 Posts

Profile of maxello
Hi....

The Disembodied Princess

Can somebody give me some more info about this illusion?
Its sold by Owens and that should be quality enough but I am looking for some more info.
Arve Lisland
arvelisland@gmail.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Also called "The Lady/Girl Without A Middle". Assistant enters cabinet, two blades are passed thru box disecting at neck and knees, top and bottom doors opened to reveal head and lower legs, middle doors open to reveal torso missing and back of cabinet lowered to prove torso is really gone.

What else you need?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Maxello,

This effect takes a pretty physically fit assistant. You also can't change assistants without spending a lot of money. It cannot be performed down stage.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
maxello
View Profile
New user
Norway
60 Posts

Profile of maxello
Many thanks for this info....
Arve Lisland
arvelisland@gmail.com
R_B_C
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, Texas
65 Posts

Profile of R_B_C
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this effect originated with the Thurston show. I have seen it several times over the years, and it goes over well with the audience. It is definately an angle sensitive stage illusion.
R_B_C
"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -Harry S. Truman
sethman
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of sethman
The plans to built this illusion are sold at osbournemagic.com I believe.
boboangus
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of boboangus
Jim Steinmeyer has a good write up on this illusion in the November addition of Genii
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Profile of Dutch illusionist
Are there some videos on the net of this illusion, and is it possible to make a surrounded version of this illusion? Also al the versions I saw worked automaticly (doors openened automatic) how does that work, electronic?) and do all the versions open the doors automatic?
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Videos? Probably out in cyber-space somewhere.

Surrounded? Hey anythings possible, but doubtful with this illusion.

Electronics could be involved with the door operation, and no they all don't operate that way.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I saw Lance Burton perform this illusion in Vegas and it was very well received by the audience. His version is the exact one you are looking at. The "Transition" was very well done and I agree with Bob you have to be athletic. The only 2 drawbacks in my opinion is the sunglasses that have to be worn and the depth of the illusion itself.

It was evident by the placement of the illusion that the angles are tricky.

The Osborne method is different to an extent than the Owen version.

James
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Townsend1
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Townsend1
The Owens version can definitely not be done surrounded. In fact it must be done toward the middle or further up stage. It is a beautiful illusion and always gets great audience responces, but the angles are tight and this can not be performed in venues that don't have standard auditoriam staging. I don't know if they have changed this on the current model, but in the past nothing was motorized and the other posters are correct you need an atheletic assistant to perform it.
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Yes, a surroundable version does exist. I believe it was advertised on Tillfords site.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
A couple of years ago, Steinmeyer did an article in Genii that talked of his version he developed for Doug Henning. It is surroundable and a little less physically demanding to perform. Osborne also has a surroundable version, but in my opinion, doesn't handle the solution very well.

Thanks,
Richard
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The only problem with the "surroundable" versions is probably the cabinet bulk.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
We had discussions with Owen on the initial construction in re to motorized doors, but The Pendragons (Jonathan) decided it added too much additional bulk and lost some of its deceptiveness. We finally ended up with the standard version that was performed in Spellbound. And Char had the physical fitness to perform the trick without too much stress to her body. The trick really wooed the audience. Today, RALIS, the special make-up effects artist in Los Angeles can create a real-life replica of your face, thus eliminating the need for sun glasses. I believe this number is still current. (818) 209-8046.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
I remember seeing Blackstone Jr. do this on television several times as well. I believe he did it when I saw his live performance as well. It's definitely a crowd pleaser if done well.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Two versions of the plans for this are in Osborne's new book - Classic Illusions vol. 2.
magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
I belive in one of Osborne's book there is something called "She Comes Undone" a combo of a zig zag type thing and this illusion.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
A video of this illusion (not the full length, as it starts after the "transition" is done. Note the Owen version the head and legs are visible at all times.

It is under the Montage section.

http://www.brettdaniels.com/BrettVideo.htm

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Info (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL