The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Rush (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bunnydoctor
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of bunnydoctor
Hey pros,
do you guys still get rushes after you successfully pull off some hard ass sleights? ive only been working cards for about a month and I feel terrific when I did a nice DL infront of some seriously burning kids...
does the feeling fade? do ordinary sleights just feel ordinary after uve done them a million times?

bunny phd
bunny phd
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Hey there,

You picked a good route- cards! Don't let anyone tell 'ya different. Ha- cards are my best friend; says a lot about me! Card sleights for me are second nature. At least the ones I use daily. Side steals, pass (all types)- usually just the NoWhere Pass/Half Pass, DLs, top changes. Those I can say are second nature. Do I get a rush when I perform them? 'Eh it depends. I do know though that I can easily just carry on a conversation with a spectator and during that time execute sleights without even thinking about them, and when it's time for the spectators attention to be focused on the deck- the 'dirty' work is already done and I didn't think twice about it. I personally think I have a natural flow with cards. The sleights I do are equally balanced out.

Good job performing a DL with confidence. I know some full time performers who get all choked up when performing them. Or at least when they do- they make a move out of it. Not good. Their eyes are so focused on the deck that they look as though they're going to burn a hole through it with their thousand yard stare.

I don't really get excited or feel a rush when I perform card sleights persay. But I know that the reactions I get are a rush. Especially when I'm trying something new out that involves are hard sleight, etc. Those are the moments I'm both reluctant to do (since I have so many card routines), and eager to do- only for the reactions. Good luck, and if you need any help- just let me know.

Best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
bunnydoctor
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of bunnydoctor
Hmm so it IS like everything else ive gotten good at...

hmm, wonder when ill get to the point where I don't even notice to moves...
bunny phd
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I don't really think about the moves when I'm performing. The real rush I get comes from the spectators' reactions.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
Being fairly new to card tricks involving "moves", I do get a little rush when I am able to pull one off, but as Kent said the bigger rush comes from the end reaction.

On the other hand, I still mess up on occasion and THAT feeling negates the rush from the successful times. Still, I know I'll improve and the good feelings will be far more frequent than the oopses.

- Steve
bunnydoctor
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of bunnydoctor
Yeah, the other day I was doing a very short acr and one of the specs knew of a DL and asked if I was doing one. I said I was, but you cant really see it. after a DL I put the indifferent aCard in the middle and did another DL (to show another indifferent) and said,"see? its not there!"

but with a snap...

that was one of the more funny momments of performing.. but I was the only one laughing inside ^_^;...

bunny phd
bunny phd
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Practice makes perfect. Don't believe it. When yu think you've got somethng perfectly complacency sets in. Complacency is the enemy. Sleights and moves are only tools used to produce the whole - the moment of magic, of astonishment, your audience being entertained. If you don't entertain them, there's no magic.
You have to give it away to keep it.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 03:52, David Fletcher wrote:
Practice makes perfect. Don't believe it. When yu think you've got somethng perfectly complacency sets in. Complacency is the enemy. Sleights and moves are only tools used to produce the whole - the moment of magic, of astonishment, your audience being entertained. If you don't entertain them, there's no magic.
Very nicely put. There is a lot of truth in that David. Sleights are just a means to an end...but they are not the end in itself. Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I have to admit that I used to get a little rush after pulling off a difficult move, but after doing them so many times, they simply become second nature. Now the rush comes from a broader perspective. I find myself getting a rush now from performing an entire routine gracefully and skillfully.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Kent,
I agree. That is where my joy comes as well.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
At first were the sleights. when I managed to do one smoothly and without hesitation I would get a rush. then , after I had some confidence to perform for people , it came from their reactions. and now I just feel AMAZING when I finish any good routine . so I agree with reis.

all the best

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Rush (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL