The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Mandarin Jacket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Hi All-
I am looking for a source to buy a mandarin-styled dress jacket. I would like a black, white, or blue jacket preferably. I have ebay and some other sites but have not had much luck. Any ideas? Thanks!
-Michael
Teen Magician Michael Platt
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Look under google, and if all else fails, look at Shrine clothing, Lip Service, tripp nyc and funhouse.

(Also, you could get a good custom one done)

Oh and I think Heavy Red could do some custom work for cheap too.
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Thanks Facade-
Since I am having such a hard time finding one I am considering just going with modern-styled tux.
-Michael
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello Michael,

Congratulations! That was a great write up you got in the November Linking Ring. Dakota Rose, the Youth Editor for Linking Ring, and you both speak well for the membership here on The Magic Café. Keep it up! Ohio is home to a lot of very good magicians.

In looking for costumes, when all else fails, ask a dancing teacher to allow you to see her dancewear catalogs. You would be surprised what you can find. They also know who can make custom costumes in your area.

We have not talked so I don't know how you plan to use this costume. However, this "old guy" recommends that you avoid tight collar coats because they kill body loading opportunities that someday you will use if they are available to you. Tight sleeves have the same disadvantage.

Keep on keeping on!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
This may sound odd, but the folks at Museum Replicas are closing out silk jackets right now, they are made in India, and have a distincly asian/chinese style look to them. They are mandarin/nehru collar style, and at a good price. (my catalog arrived last night and I saw them in there- just not in my size!) They do have a web presence, just google them up!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Mr. Sanders-
Thanks for all of the great comments! Dakota writes great articles and it was very generous of him to feature me in one of his articles. I am leaning towards a tuxedo (no tails, probably) instead of a mandarin style jacket, etc. because I do want to keep the costume versatile. I am planning on checking out some dance apparel catalogs, though! Thanks everyone for all your help!
-Michael
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Michael, that is exactly what I end up working in most of the time, to include last night at a country club. The short tux is called "black tie" and it is just practical. Styles don't change much and it is pretty acceptable dress anytime among adults. (And they are the ones who sign the contracts and write the checks!)

You will find me working at times in a long sleeve button shirt and slacks, often I'll work in a blazer (with or without a tie) and dress pants. Formal stage shows are always in some type of full suit (business, black tie or white tie). Even Rhett (my riverboat gambler) wears a suit. I never want to leave a talent buyer believing that working for him is just a hobby with me. Talent buyers recognize respect. That doesn't mean you can't wear costumes but they had better fit what the talent buyer expected.

Good Luck!

Bob

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Thanks again, Mr. Sanders. I think I will definitely be going with the short tux.
-Michael
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Asian garments can be found at Asian Ideas:

http://asianideas.com/asianfashion.html

That may help someone along the lines. I'm also working on a few garments of this style currently, so I may be able to help.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Thanks Nell-
I think I have decided on a short tux, though.
Thanks everyone for all your help!
-Michael
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Browse the Martail Arts magazines at the local bookstores. Many martial art suppliers advertise in them and sell chinese jackets / coats as these are the "officail" garb of some schools and styles, yet when worn in China are simply everyday jackets and coats.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Michael,

I don't know where you are located but if there is a China town in your area, try there.

Here in BC we have a HUGE Chinatown in Vancouver and you can buy a lot of stuff like that off the racks.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Neale
I don't think they have a Chinatown in Dayton Ohio.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I think what you are looking for are Happi Coats.
Do a google search spelled exactly that way.
They are Japanese and not Mandarin but they would be worth a look.

Here's a couple links I saved.
http://www.japanesekimono.com/happi.htm

http://www.jlifeinternational.com/appare......n_e.html
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Mandarin Jacket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL