The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

greengrass
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of greengrass
Hi

Being new to the mentalism side of things could anyone tell me.

How much does metalism require set ups etc ?

Thanks
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Hey there!

If your really into mentalism there's a good room for that here on the Café. All your questions about mentalism and advice should be able to be answered and given.

Some mentalism requires setups. But most of the stuff I've used and have seen is just like any other magical feat. Same setups- just different plots of presentation that make them seem like illusions of the mind. Like book tests. Some are very simplex. Some not so easy. If you consider memorized decks a form of mentalism- then there is a great setup. You must first memorize a stack of 52 cards. But then change the normal presentation and fit it towards mentalism. Spoon bending could also be classed here. It could be comical- or mysterious. I do a comical version. Hope this helps some,

Best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
greengrass
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of greengrass
Thanks for ur reply TomaskoMagic

Cheers
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'd suggest that you check out Jay Sankey's 22 Blow To The Head dvd if you haven't. Some of his psychic metalism effects really pack small play big, and it's a great dvd for beginners and intermediates. Some of them require easy set up, nothing lengthy in this dvd.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I think it will be almost impossible to answer this broad question. Some mentalism effects use pros, some don´t. Some are done on a psychological level, some are simply bold.

Ir really depends on the effect.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I think a DVD as a starting place for mentalism is wrong - pivk up Corinda's 13 steps to mentalism, and work your way through that.

In terms of 'set ups', as calexa says, it really depends on the effect. I am assuming you are referring to pre show work, but very few effects actually demands this - there are many ways to achieve the same effect.

You say you are new to mentalism, maybe it would help if you told us your level, what you have performed etc, then people may be able to give you further direction for study.

I hope this helps,

Si
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
greengrass
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of greengrass
Quote:
On 2005-11-07 05:46, sjdavison wrote:
I think a DVD as a starting place for mentalism is wrong - pivk up Corinda's 13 steps to mentalism, and work your way through that.

In terms of 'set ups', as calexa says, it really depends on the effect. I am assuming you are referring to pre show work, but very few effects actually demands this - there are many ways to achieve the same effect.

You say you are new to mentalism, maybe it would help if you told us your level, what you have performed etc, then people may be able to give you further direction for study.

I hope this helps,

Si

Previously, Mainly cards

I was refering to using props and setting things up before hand, also using stooges, does most mentalism require this or is the majority done without the things mentioned?

I received an answer in another forum that has more or less clarified this for me but any other input is very welcome. Such as the best places to start learning etc.

Cheers
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I think the word 'props' in mentalism is something of a misnomer. In magic, there are very definite props (cards, sponge balls, ropes etc), whilst in mentalism, it can be argued (as Mr Osterlind says in his DVDs) that the spectators are the props - they are the animated ones - 'a 6 foot prop'.

I imagine you are referring to actual physical 'props'. In mentalism ,your tools are pieces of paper, envelopes, and other normally simple things. The difference with mentalism is that they are not the focus of the performance - it is you reading the thoughts that is important, and the envelopes etc are simply there - the aim is to make them seem superfluous to the effect. That is the aim of mentalism - they remember that you read their thoughts, not that they wrote something down. This is only achieved through excxellent, natural technique, and superb PRESENTATION.

Stooges and set ups before hand is a hotly debated topic. Read many of Mr OSterlind's superb posts on the topic, and you will see what he and many people have to think. However, almost every effect can be perfromed without the use of stooges and preshow.

Si
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Starkindler201
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Starkindler201
Mentalism is very diverse... some effects take very specific setup... others (such as Muscle Reading) take no set up. What are you looking into?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL