The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Talking Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I was practicing an effect (gadabout coins) that requires three coins (audience thinks its one) going into the pocket at the same time. When the coins get to my pocket, they always seem to make noise and "talk" with each other as I place them inside. I have tried going slowly, being more careful, but nothing works. Is there any way I can minimize the noise made by the coins when they go into my pocket?

Thanks,
Shalin
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If you have other coins in the pocket the noise is there each time so no problem.

Sometimes holding the coin(s) in a firm finger palm and placing them in the very bottom of the empty pants pocket can help. Try to lift the coins from FP w/ your thumb. It takes a knack.
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Have your 2 secret coins pre-palmed, then when you need to get your one coin (that the audience knows about), reach into your pocket and pull out a handful of change and fish around in your hand for the proper coin. This not only emphasizes that you are using only one coin, but it also shows them that they are also coins in your pocket. When you dump them back into your pocket, be sure to make as much noise as you can (without looking suspicious) to get them used to hearing the sound of the extra coins.

This makes a world of difference when I do Hopping Half.
~Jonton
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
By placing a handkerchief in your pocket, you can virtually eliminate any noise as you put the coins away as long as you're a little careful when you release them.
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
Thanks for the help guys, I will try out all of your suggestions!
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Some pockets have the little inner pocket for coins/keys, using that might help, or ask a tailor/seamstress to add a 2nd pocket inside the pocket - should only cost $5.00.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Richard, I need the name of your tailor! I just had that done and it cost me $50.00.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Try using "soft coins". They are coins that are worn so the relife on the face's are not so drastic. It helps cover a lot of the noise. Also as you put the coins in the pocket press them firmly to your body then push them down to the bottom of the pocket... It will help the noise a lot.
Shawn.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Super glue!!

Actually, try getting really worn coins, they glide very silently, but they also stick together better.

or try the super glue.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
Haha, I think I will give the glue a try! But thanks guys for the tips, I think I will try getting some really worn coins and trying them out.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-11-08 13:06, Larry Davidson wrote:
Richard, I need the name of your tailor! I just had that done and it cost me $50.00.

He must have really small pockets!
:rotf:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Talking Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL