The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Help With Silk Roll? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Hello;

I am working on a routine from Patrick Page's thumbtip dvd called "Diminshing Silk", where a silk gets progressively smaller until it vanishes completely. He used it for kids parties, which I will be doing. If you are familiar with his thumbtip dvd, it is a great routine.

Anyhow, in the first stage of the routine, he takes a large silk and rolls it between his palms and just transfers it to his right hand (the audience thinks it is in his left hand), and then goes to his jacket and exchanges it for a smaller silk.

My problem is that I am having trouble "rolling" the silk into a ball between my palms. Patrick Page says a tip is to tie a small knot in the corner of the silk and it will roll better. I tried that, but still cannot manage to get the darned silk to roll into a ball. It is a brand new silk. Could that be the problem? Perhaps it just needs "broken in"? Do I need a tight knot? Loose knot? Big knot? Small knot? Go knot go!

Any help, ideas, or suggestions you might have would be appreciated. Thanks!

On a roll (i wish),
Mark
"Go Browns!"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20521 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mark,

The good news is that the trick does work! Keep at it. Leave a little "ear" sticking out of the knot and roll it under the silk as you start making the ball. Palm to palm it should work. If all else fails, wet your hand just a little. It should cause the corner of the silk to wad up easier.

Keep at it. I know you'll ultimately win this one.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Thanks, Bob.

I'll try that as the next time I'm practicing!

Thanks!
Mark

Posted: Nov 7, 2005 6:20pm

---------------------------------------------------------
Bob;

I was able to try your idea, and did have some success with it. Will keep working at it...

Thanks,
Mark
"Go Browns!"
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Bob's advice (as usual) is right on target. I had had the same difficulty as you are having Mark. And someone gave me the same advice as Bob's and voila! By the way, this "silk roll" is mentioned in Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic volume 1.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Jimmy;

Thanks for the encouragement. Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic? Now I must say, I have not heard of that, which raises an interesting question. This effect is featured on Patrick Page's thumbtip dvd, so does that make it a thumbtip trick or a silk trick? To be honest, I wouldn't have the silks if I wasn't trying to do this particular effect. Does that make me a bad magician? Just kidding (i think)...

Thanks,
Mark
"Go Browns!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Help With Silk Roll? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL