The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Fabric for folding table? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
I am thinking of building a folding suitcase table. I like the ones on the market, but the dementions just are not right for the props I plan to carry in it. I am also tall and would like the table top to be higher. There are also other features I would like to add that the other tables don't have. I don't see the point in buying a table for 3 to 400 dollars if I have to take it apart to adapt it to my needs. Since I am good with tools I plan to build my own to my specifications. The feature I like best of the tables on the market are the durable velco friendly material. I have looked in several fabric stores and can't find it. Does anyone know what it is called or where I could find a couple of yards? I don't mean to step on the toes of the manufacturers of these tables as I think they are great, they just don't suit my needs.
Matt Ferro
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
128 Posts

Profile of Matt Ferro
I Just finished my new suitcase table that I built and designed. It only cost 200 bucks!

The Material that I found that works really well is an outdoor carpet. I found it at Home Depot, but Im sure that you could find it at any hardware store that carries carpet. There was an assortment of colors but I went with black

Heres a pic of the table closed: http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/M......0b6b.jpg

The table open: http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/M......0425.jpg

Good luck!
-Matt Ferro
Don't practice till you can do it right, Practice till you can't do it wrong...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Go to a music store that sells PA gear. They can usually get the velcro compatible material, if they don't already have it in stock. The material is the same as that used to cover some PA speakers.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Great case Matt, Looks awesome!

If only I had the time I'd like to build something like that, how long did it take to build?

Steven
Matt Ferro
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
128 Posts

Profile of Matt Ferro
It really didn't take that long. It took about a week in all. Once you have all of the wood cut out, its all pretty easy. The part that took forever was glueing down the fabric. I used carpet glue so it would really last but it was a pain because I could only do a few sides at a time. It took around 2 hours to dry and I had to clamp the sides and put weight on it. I am really happy with the result though.

The other part that was hard to find was the hinges that hold the top half up when the case is open. The Laflin table uses a hinge that is somthing like this:

Ledge for top to rest on --> __________
I
I
I
I
Middle of hinge(rotating point)--> O
I
I
I
I
So I looked everywhere for a hinge like that but I couldn't find one so I took a hinge and an L bracket and bolted them together.

If you want more info about the construction PM me

-Matt
Don't practice till you can do it right, Practice till you can't do it wrong...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Fabric for folding table? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL