The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Power is in the Minds of the Spectators (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3902 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I began reading Mr. Jame Biss's book, "Messing with Minds," and Mr. Biss stresses the importance of enpowering the spectators with the mental powers that make the various effects or experiments successful. The performer is the middle man (woman) and is the conduit to which the spectators' powers of the mind is relayed through and perhaps enhanced by. The effects presented in this book and Mr. Biss's mentalism act are directed to meet this criteria.

Is it good to have your entire show consist of effects and routines that demonstrate that it is the spectators who have the mental power that make the routines and effects possible or should there be more of a mix of routines that empower the audiecne but also demosntrate that the performer has the real mental power that has been enhanced and developed over the years?

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Absolutely. A long time ago, a well known and very well respected mentalist gave me great advice. He said,"Empower the audience. Its not about you, but about them". That advice changed my mentalism life.

Magicians make it about themselves. Mentalists make it about the audience.

I wouldn't say that the performer has the "real" mental power; his/hers is just more developed.

There is one point in my act where the spectators do everything and I am not involved at all.

My closing remarks give most of the credit to the audience participants.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3902 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Tony,

Thank you very much for your comments and advice. You have been very helpful.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
JamesBiss
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of JamesBiss
At the risk of taking this thread in a "commercial" direction...

This approach also plays extremely well in the corporate party circuit. Undoubtedly, many of the gigs that I do (primarily in Canada these days)happen because I'm able to get the event planners excited about the idea that THEIR people are going to do some astonishing things with each other. It really takes the perception of a "magic act" into a different direction.

As I wrote in the book - it's also a lot more fun for everyone!

... And when I occasionally miss on a design or a force or whatever - it's not a problem. THEY just erred a wee bit... ;>)))) And I use them right away again and there is redemption.

Cheers,

James
James Biss
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Power is in the Minds of the Spectators (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL