The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dropping Doves ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Just curious but is anyone dropping doves from their act due to the publics' fear of the avian flu even though it's not a problem here in the U.S.?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello David and Cynthia,

So far I have no pressure about the avian flu but I have always had to have a backup show for places where you cannot use livestock because of food being served to the audience. (Drinkers don't seem to get the same protection!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
711 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Hi Peeps!

I don't know about you guys but starting this November, I won't be including any dove acts on my shows. With Bird Flu cases spreading like a wild fire around the globe, I've decided to give my doves a rest.

You might be saying I'm over reacting to the situation... Well, I'm just playing it safe. Safety for me and to the kids that I entertained during kiddie events.

I've already advice my agents regarding this matter although some do not agree with my decision, some were understandable. As magicians, we have to take this matter seriously as we humans can also be infected with the said virus.

Right now, I'm trying to use more rabbit routines in my acts. Besides there are lot's of other magic props or routines to replace the ones wherein doves are involved.

Avian Flu is one serious issue not to be neglected!

Happy Magic!
Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
I thought this post was about magicians who "drop" their doves while performing. (*wink* *wink* Sal) LOL!!!

Sal,
my friend be careful rabbits can have rabbies too Smile

I might do a gig in Hong Kong this December if all the plans work out well. and its either I drop all the dove effects in my act or borrow some birds from our brother magicians over there.

do you think my doves can get infected if ever I use them in the same props?

but trust me I will be laying off the chickens while I'm there... I use doves, rabbits, chickens and ducks in my act.

BTW Sal the authorities have been notified (sorry guys a little inside joke there) Smile
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
711 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
MagicManila,

I wish you all the best on your Hong Kong gig! Can I get to be your assistant?

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It appears to me that the fear of flu from doves has peaked out. Mean while the fear of fire has accelerated.

What are your observations?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Fire is one of those things that I have pretty much eliminated from my act. Open flame is not an area where I want to get into anymore. The only fire I have in my shows now is Flash paper and flash rope. Fire Marshals are cracking down and to get a permit, and have a Marshal on site the whole time is a real hassle. Here in the south, there is a major concern on open flames, and even if handled correctly, still has a "mind of its own". Ever since the incident in Connecticut, its not an area that I open for discussion when booking events...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
At the rate things are going in the flame department, soon having candles at a wedding or birthday will require permits. LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
You're right Bob.

I have almost eliminated fire and pyro effects from my act. I used to depend upon it a lot in my rock 'n roll band daze, and I admit I probably over-used it in some of my magic shows. But things are getting so strict now I am trying to leave it out of my shows.

Regan
Mister Mystery
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I'm still using plenty of birds in my show, and I have been traveling the world. I just spend the past 7 months traveling on cruise ships, with 8 doves, 6 parakeets, and two toucans. I have spent time in Mexico, US, and Canada... no problems. I am putting my cockatoo back into the show, along with 3 macaws and about 124 more parakeets... We shouldn't let bird flu keep us from performing with our animals. Keep in mind that I am VERY careful with my birds, and they are not around any other birds ever... period. I have regular check ups with my vet, and blood work from time to time.

Hope this helps... be careful, but don't feel like you have to quit magic with birds.

Dave
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
I had some bookings that REQUIRED me not to use any kind of BIRD, and from my point of view the said show lacked the OOMPH!!! just didn't feel the same. there are also some venues here that prohibit any kind of pyro, for me FIRE and BIRDS are still the way to go. it just makes things more Magical, it gives it an EXTRA KICK.
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
So Dave did you get the 124 parakeets to do the 6 parakeet repeat... I throw 1,2,3, away and still have 1,2,3,4,5,6 parakeets??????? Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Giving up my doves is like saying I am retiring from Magic and
that will only happen the day of my broken wand.

Not to say that I use them in every show, I was not allow to use them on many hospital shows I did.

I love dove magic and care for every Magician that use doves in their act.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-01-26 13:40, magicmanila wrote:
I had some bookings that REQUIRED me not to use any kind of BIRD, and from my point of view the said show lacked the OOMPH!!! just didn't feel the same. there are also some venues here that prohibit any kind of pyro, for me FIRE and BIRDS are still the way to go. it just makes things more Magical, it gives it an EXTRA KICK.

I have had libraries ask that no livestock be used. Technically, health standards should not allow livestock where food is served indoors but rarely do they even consider that. Odd that country clubs expect doves at banquet shows!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dropping Doves ??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL