The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's next? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
I've got a decent collection of Mentalism DVDs and books, but I'm always looking to add to it, especially if the effets are strong. In my current collection I have:

DVDs:
Banachek - PSI Series 1 to 4
Banachek - PK Silverware
Morgan Strebler - Liquid Metal
Osterlind – ETMMM Series 1 to 4
Osterlind – Mind Mysteries Series 1 to 4
Osterlind – Mind Mysteries Too Series 5 to 7
Luke Jermay – Skullduggery
Guy Bavli – Bending Minds Series 1 to 3
Marc Spellman – The Unknown, The Stranger, The Acquaintance, The Initiated
Jay Sankey – 22 Blows to the Head & Boris Pocus Extremely Mental
Marc Paul – Mind 2 Mind

Books:
Tarbell – Tarbell Series 1 to 7
Banachek – Psychological Subtleties
Banachek – Psychokinetic Touches
Banachek – Psychokinetic Time
Banachek – Pre-Thoughts
Ted Lesley - Paramiracles
Luke Jermay - Building Blocks
Sean Fields - X-Rated
Derren Brown – Pure Effect
Tony Corinda – 13 Steps to Mentalism
Kennedy - Thoughts so Far
Max Maven – Prism

What other DVDs or books that have strong mentalism effects would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
What's next?
I would say master most of these effects and put them in routines. If you already have perfected the effects (which I doubt) look into more books. Seems that you have most of the "classic" dvds. Books as well, but there are som many more. I woul highly recommend Bob Cassidys material.

//Christian
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
The Jinx, definetely
Richard Busch Books
Docc Hilford Stuff
Desert Brainstorm DVDs
Bob Cassidy Stuff
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I second Bob Cassidy's stuff. I just lovce his devious thinking. So utterly real world.

Larry Becker's Stunners
Lee Earle's MIND are also good.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
When I read the topic first I thought it's all about:" Look, I got all this stuff and I just can't stop buying tons of material. Do you have the same problem?"
I thought you came to the conclusion that it's enough material for now to create a good act.
My advice is: Take a break and start creating your own routines with the beautiful material you have. I know it's a rush to get each and every new book or DVD but I think you should put the breakes on Smile

Greetz
Rick

p.s.: hope I managed to express myself Smile
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Since you've already read/viewed so many great titles, IMHO I would recommend spending your time coming up with your own effects, and/or developing your own original style.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Doughlas, from your collection, can you name one effect from each that you do?

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2005-11-08 13:34, Greg Arce wrote:
Doughlas, from your collection, can you name one effect from each that you do?

Greg

Interesting question, good point
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
For those of you that responded to my request THANK YOU!

For those that wanted to voice opinions about my purchasing of new materials, thanks but it's not the input I was seeking. My collection is more than 20 years old...it's not all something I bought yesterday...I have other magic books and videos, but as I have grown older (and hopefully wiser) my tastes have changed to mentalism instead of the close-up and stage illusions I used to perform. That's why I'm looking to expand the mentalism portion of my collection.

Granted there are some things effects in there I will probably never perform...some are not my style. Others were just uninformed purchases, which is what I'm trying to avoid this time. I see that there are a number of recommendations for Bob Cassidy's material. That tells me it will probably be a decent purchase.

Thanks again,
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
That's some time machine! I counted over half of the things you have on your list as having come out in the last five years... some even sooner than that... how are they 20 years old?
Doughlas, I'm not coming down on you... I'm just trying to teach you something here. If you have 13 Steps, Annemann and Tarbell you already have a lifetime of knowledge. I said this awhile back but it bares repeating: Marc Salem did a full evening show on Broadway... to rave reviews... sold out audiences... and more than half of the effects probably came straight out of the three books I mentioned above. Shoot Ogawa basically lives and breathes out of Tarbell... he rarely looks at any other sources.
As a matter of fact, many of the books and DVDs that you have in your list constantly quote or reference Corinda or Annemann.
So, unless you are just a collector, I would say you have more than enough resources at your fingertips to become one H-E-L-L of a mentalist.
Anyway, that's just my opinion, you can continue to search for the Holy Grail of mentalism if you want, but I think you already own it... you just have to search in the materials you have at hand.

Good luck in your search.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Derren Brown's Absolute Magic.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Would say pass on the Brown.

I side with Greg.

But then again I turn a good dollar on the stuff Greg is commenting on.

Brown is just a re-hash in my opinion.

Jack

H.O.A-X
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I didn't see "The Black School" in there anywhere ...
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Mmmmm I do not have that is it any good?

Jack

H.O.A-X
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
Brown is just a re-hash of who?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's next? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL