The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lighting the house (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Kevin,

I usually just get a 10 inch reflector from HomeDepot and a 500 watt screw on photoflood light bulb, so you are talking greek to me.

Thanks for the info though, but can you go here for morons like myself:

http://www.etcconnect.com/products/fixtures.asp

And then paste the URL of the product(FIXTURE) you recommend from the drop down list, because I am looking at a list of Source Four Par fixtures and different variations and I am lost because I see no EA, I do see Parnel but I also see the CE. What is a CE.

Thanks,

G0THIKE
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Gothike...
Here is the link for the exact S4 par...
http://www.etcconnect.com/products/products.asp?9

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Kevin,

I see it, I am happy.

Is their a way to mount a 4 barn door thing to control the spread?

Also, what is "Dimmer Doubling". Or how do you dim the light?

I havnt gotten into DMX controllers yet, but is it compatable?

What does it cost?

G0THIKE
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Gothike...
You most likely will never need to worry aout Dimmer Doubling.

Yes there are barn doors available to put on this light.

Any conventional light will be dimmable via DMX if used with a DMX dimmer.

A new S4 Par goes for about $160 online.

If you need more info on DMX and dimmers, let me know. I'll show you what we use and the other options out there. We have spec'd out both hard light boards as well as software based.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Kevin,

Your in the major league of magic and I sometimes get to bat in the minors. Most likely I wont be needig DMX software, boards or a DMX dimmer. Can I just splice the cable with a regular dimmer from Home Depot?

I was thinking of aiming a light to the stage and another one up to the ceiling and just have an On and Off switch that I can trigger with my foot, a foot pedal. Just imagine those guitar effects pedals for a one man show. Do you know what my options might be? If it can Dim In and Dim Out that would be awesome. Any ideas?

G0THIKE
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
GOTHIKE,

These fixtures are only 575 watts each, so there's nothing to prevent you from using a simple Lutron dimmer from Home Depot to dim the S4 PARS.

You'd have to put two dimmers in a metal electrical back box and wire them up as two seperate circuits, but that wouldn't be difficult. You could then plug the two dimmers controlling the two lights into one 15A circuit.

I haven't seen anything of a foot pedal myself, but you could mount your back box with your two dimmers in it on a board, which would sit on the floor. Hot glue a small block to the top and the bottom of the Decora switch on the dimmer so your foot has something to push in, and you've got two foot controled dimmers for less than a hundred bucks

If your electrical skills aren't up to knowing how to wire this up, an electrician would be able to wire it up for you in 15 minutes for very little cost. It's a good safety practice to not overrate your skills with electrical wiring, especially if it plugs into a 120V outlet.
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I also use my own lights to light the house in many facilities. I also do a lot of shows outside where there are no lights. I use a movie light called a Studio 2K by Mole Richardson. It is basically a very large fresnel. I use a 1,000 watt bulb so I can have two on the same circuit. They are large, but not too heavy, they can be focused from a spot light to an extremely wide field, and they have a soft light. We put them on top of triple riser combo stands, so they get very high and do not blind people. I used to try and bounce the light off the ceiling, but ceilings differed so much, and the light was not sufficient for me. Plus it is impossible when I perform outside.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lighting the house (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL