The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Darth David has a problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Hello people,

Recently, I got called up by an event manager to do a show.

After much haggling and learning that it is a small private event on a Monday night, I dropped my price - knowing that chances are I probably wouldn't get an inquiry for that day anyway and I do like to develop relationships with event managers.

I just received via email the event details and have learned that it is a corporate event from a huge company and an expensive venue.

I have worked for the event manager at full price before and they have got me this gig but my trust has been shattered.

I am wondering on anyones thoughts on this particular issue.

My corporate fees are something I have developed over the course of time and this ticks me off.

I havn't replied to the event manager as yet.

Cheers.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-11-08 23:30, icentertainment wrote:

after much haggling and learning that it is a small private event on a Monday night I dropped my price

I just received via email the Event Details and have learn't that it is a Corporate Event from a huge company and an expensive venue.

David are you saying you were told you it was a small private event when, in fact, it was a corporate event?
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

They told me over the phone it was a private group of friends at a local hotel and they saw me perform at the last event managers event and wanted me at their little event.

Now that I received the eventi nfo sheet from the event manager, the event is now a huge corporate event for a very big company.

The event manager seems like a nice person --- but I just feel that I am being used and my instinct is to tell them that I am unavailable.

But I think I'll do the show and next time - it's the full price or I'm unavailable.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Well if they told you it was small, then you could decline the booking for the special price, since that is what was verbally agreed. Advise him that maybe it was your mistake that you thought it was a small party...it looks like you are not attacking him.

However, you may want to still do it if this is a repeat client who gets you lot of work. Just for next time, don't give any discounts for any day. (I personally take Mondays off since it is my weekend).

I know this is exactly how you are looking at it and can't decide which way to take. You have to ask yourself, which way do you want your BUSINESS to go? What is your BUSINESS policy? So you can advise him of the policy and see if he goes for the price or take the discount and your new policy starts tomorrow.

Don't forget that you know this person better than we do, so you will have to rely on that knowledge also.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
It sounds as though you might have been misled by the event manager in order for him to get a better price. That is unfortunate, but I would suggest you do the show at the agreed upon price and make it clear to the event manager that you misunderstood the type of event it is. Let him know that you're doing it because you are a professional but that, in the future, you won't be able to do a show for that price for this type of event.

This will keep you from getting blamed by the client if they're unwilling to pay your regular fee. You don't want to damage your reputation. This kind of occurrence can really make you look bad, even if you're trying to correct a wrong.

Now, that you know that the event manager can make this kind of "mistake", you'll want to be very careful with his descriptions of future events. Just be sure to get all the details and be on the lookout for the potential of him trying this again.

Michael
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I am curious if this might be a case of intentional deception, where the event manager is charging the client full fee, and sending you the discounted amount?

It sounds like you already have a relationship with this manager, and I would consider speaking with the person and finding out what exactly happened, and what they were thinking. As has been stated, only you can make that call though.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Thak you people

KAY--- that's what I am thinking- as I do not know what the final price is.

Mike messing: I will do the show but I will be quoting my full fee next time.

Thanks mrBillentertainer---I do not trust this event manager anymore so I'll do this show at the hustled price and that's it. I have worked with her before at the full price and she loved it- One of the audiences at that particular event saw me and enquired through this event manager
so the event manager is acting as a Entertainment agency for this particualr event.

Thanks peoples
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 09:37, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
However, you may want to still do it if this is a repeat client who gets you lot of work. Just for next time, don't give any discounts for any day.

That's seems to be a huge consideration doesn't it? Do as mrbilldentertainer suggests and protect your future business by keeping them happy this time even with that discounted rate. When dealing with this person in the future, make sure everyone's definition of a "small group" vs. "corporate event" is clear and understood.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Thanks Randy
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
How many people were you told would be there? How many WILL there be?
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Told 50 people now there is 100
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Darth David has a problem (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL