The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Comments on Johnson's Silver e[? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Hi there,

I'm recently trying to "upgrade" my usual performing coins to Walking Liberty Halves.

I have one Johnson Kennedy Half e[ (non-1964) (let's call it JKHe[)and it is very satisfactory. But since I want to "upgrade" the coins, I'm considing a WL from Johnson as well. But before I purchase it, I'd like to make sure a few things. If any of you own one, I'd be grateful if you can provide me with the answer. Any extra comments are also welcome.

1) does it cover the same extend as JKHe[ does?
2) does its rim bend easily when compared to JKHe['s?

I understand the answers may be a bit "explicit" in a public forum... so if you think your answer shouldn't go public, please PM me, thanks =)
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
If you are going to upgrade to walking liberties then you should upgrade the quality as well. I would go through one of the 3 coin gaffers around. You will get better quality than you will with johnson.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I love my schoolcraft set. You should look into them as well as the other guys as well. Basically I agree with Corey.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Thanks guys... I understand that, and I know that those gaffers make excellent gaffs.

It's just the price thing. Don't get me wrong, their qualities definitely worth that. It's just my own budget problem =)

hm... so I'm still waiting for the answers... but thanks for your suggestions.
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
I have a WL e[ from Johnson, and it is not bad. The length of the lip on the ] is not quite uniform, but then again neither are the coins. It works very well though, and I wouldn't worry about it bending unless you dropped it and it dented (ooouch!).
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
A Johnson silver shell is $50 plus shipping. A Schoolcraft shell is $60 ($70 if you get the re-milled one). I'd be willing to buy an older, used gaff or booklet or something for $10 to fund the rest of the way... Just a thought.
Aaron
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 11:23, Aaron Moring wrote:
A Johnson silver shell is $50 plus shipping. A Schoolcraft shell is $60 ($70 if you get the re-milled one). I'd be willing to buy an older, used gaff or booklet or something for $10 to fund the rest of the way... Just a thought.
Aaron

With that thought, why not just buy a quarter shell, a set of billiards (so folks can see the props!) and a volume of the Tarbell set?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Why do you consider a walking liberty an upgrade to a 64 kennedy?
I have a lot of shells and I was fortunate to handpick a walking liberty at Johnson's. I use it just as much as the higher priced ones.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Thanks for the inputs. I had the impression that the gaffers sell their e[s in a set. So thanks for pointing out that I can buy it separately. I'll take that into consideration.

sullivanl, ha, you are right, I have a couple of WL and most of them have uneven thinkness, I wonder why... and the possibility of dropping it is what I'm afraid of. I've dropped a non-silver johnson before and luckily the material withstood that drop... only a tiny dent >_<

perhaps my words are a bit unclear... I have a NON-silver johnson only, while a 64 kennedy is a silver one... so I'm trying to "upgrade" from "normal" halves to silver WL. Sorry about the confusion ;-)

You've got a coin?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
It is Better to buy the the shells from the gaffers in the shell sets. The shells will be custom made to fit the coin perfectly. If you just buy the shell you have to deal with resizing it for all your coins, and sometimes that doesn't even work well.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22842 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
First of all all Johnson coins and gaffs have a life time guarantee. So if you drop the coin, send it in and get a replacement, free. My Shell for the Silver Copper Brass came off, and Johnson replaced the shell coin free, with the new processed shells they make. They actually put a complete edge on their coins. So they are stronger, as it seems for me.

Lifetime guarantee, is why I purchased a Johnson product.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Didn't know about that.. what do you need as proof for a set that I have had for over 7 years. ITs my Hopping Halves.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Thanks for the ongoing comments from Corey, wmhegbli and paisa23 again.

Ha, I don't know there is a lifetime guarantee~ just want to ask say if I purchase one from magicwarehouse, where should I sent to? Does johnson have a headquarters?

Talking about the johnson silver e[, wmhegbli, do you think it's hard enough for 1-2 drops...? I dropped my NON-silver johnson e[ to a hard surface and luckily the edge dent is not so serious. I was hoping the silver e[ can be like that...

I read from a gaffer that he could make the edge thicker so it can withstand some drops... if he can make it "tougher"...

You've got a coin?
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
468 Posts

Profile of martysh
I've had a Johnson Kennedy shell for at least 10 to 12 years and dropped it lots of times.. It looks great and works great...once in a while I had to put a coin inside and swivel it around to get the shape back. this one is of course alloy...with quite a bit of copper.
I wouldn't worry much.. just be sure you don't lose it..

Oh, by the way, this piece I have used constantly with Bob Bengel's routine of coins to spectator's hand where they give you the gimmick at the end thinking it is a real coin and finding the original amount in their hands ...still

It's the best.

Marty
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I would go with Jaime's 60.00 shell and then just go to a coin shop and find coins to match it perfectly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Comments on Johnson's Silver e[? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL