The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A Presentation--The Black Box Recordings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
633 Posts

Profile of Dale A. Hildebrandt
Here's a short presentation I wrote up for an old effect. I'm not going to tip the methods here, only give the presentation. So, here then is...

THE BLACK BOX RECORDINGS
by Dale A. Hildebrandt

Susan was typically skeptical of my usually unusual adventures. This time, though, this time I had proof. Proof of something mysterious and beyond our own knowledge.

I showed up and she let me in the house. “Is this going to be another tale of Loch Ness or something?” she asked, a bit dismayed. “And why’d you have me drag out this old tape player?”

“No tales of Nessie tonight. A friend of a friend got this recording for me. Don’t ask me how he obtained it. There’s something...peculiar about it.”

“What’s so peculiar about some stupid tape?”

“The tape isn’t stupid.” I knew the tape wasn’t stupid, and I was about to prove it. “The tape is special because it’s a recording of a recording. Some time ago, a pilot...and his plane...disappeared. All that was left was the black box. And they recorded what the black box recorded on to this tape.”

“So you have a recording....big deal.”

“Think of a shape, fast.”

“Circle.”

“Now think of a shape inside that circle.”

“Triangle.”

“And that’s the last thing Roger...the missing pilot...saw. I’ve cued the tape to the appropriate moment.”

I put the tape in and hit Play.

A voice on the tape shouted, “Oh my...They’re lights...and they’re forming a circle. The lights inside the circle are forming a triangle. These aren’t planes....” and then we heard nothing but mumbling sounds and the tape cut off at that point.

I put the tape back in its case. Then, as an afterthought, I handed it to Susan. “I don’t know what to tell you, except strange things have happened since I’ve held possession of this tape.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One thing I thought about for the above presentation was some sort of visual ending. Like a flash of light outside the window, or something after the comment about strange things happening after taking possession of the tape.

Feedback is welcome.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Hi Dale,
Sounds like the bit from Banacheks' Psych Subtleties, but I think you'd need to give them a little more subconcsious direction in addition to "think of a shape, fast".
That can be easily influenced by the immediate environment itself - if Susan just happens to be looking at the tape recorder when you say that, she might say, "rectangle", since that's the shape her eyes actually see at that moment.
If the TV happens to be on in the room (unlikely, but you get my drift) and the discovery channel is doing "Eygpt" week again, she might say triangle first.
At the least, I'd recommend saying, "Close your eyes, okay, now clear your mind... now think of a shape, fast !"
Sorry if this all comes off as pedantic, but it just made me wonder. It seemed too chancey.
For a visual ending.. hmm.. you could do a ghost glass type thing on a pair of eyeglasses that "belonged" to the pilot - the image "burnt" itself in to the glass ?
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I find the presentatiioon to the point and brief....in other words, great!
I might only add a rumpled envelope or other container for the tape, and you hand the whole thing back to her, it might be stamped and postmarked, marked recording and all that. Maybe hand her the envelope and tape to hold while you plug it in and turn it on....
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Nice presentation Dale - here's a little idea. With the circle and triangle force, there isn't really a certain way of being sure which shape they'll place around which - perhaps the tape can be worded vaugely to cover both possibilities?

"...the lights...some kind of shape - it looks like a circle and a triangle... kind of... inside each other..."

That's a little too vague, I realise, but I'm sure with careful wording you could cover both outs.

Just an idea.

Liam.
Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
633 Posts

Profile of Dale A. Hildebrandt
Hello,

Mystician, you're right the direction would have to be as per Banachek's original instructions, but typing them up pretty much gives away the method...I forgot to credit Banachek in the write up.

Kaytracy, thank you. I'm glad you liked it and the idea of a crumpled package is a nice touch.

Liam, the tape is set up to cover both situations. Can't say much more here without revealing method, but if she chooses the shapes the other way around, the tape can be played that way too. (at least the way I set things up) Although using your idea will eliminate the need for some dirty work that went on in my original presentation!

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
580 Posts

Profile of seraph127
I like it!

If you know someone who works a local radio station, they might be able to help you make the recording and introduce a little distortion: some static and maybe a little bit of reverb. COuld sound really creepy.

Thanks for passing this one along.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1171 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Just so you guys know, the circle and triangle idea is not mine, Geller used it before me and it is older than Geller. I have added various subtleties to increase your odds, like stating rather than writing and not saying circle in or triangle in. Also some nonverbal bits, but figured I should clear up the misunderstanding before someone accuses me of claiming lineage to something that is not mine.

Nice idea by the way
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 10:12, Banachek wrote:
but figured I should clear up the misunderstanding before someone accuses me of ...

I see you have been on the Café a while ;-)
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 01:16, Dale A. Hildebrandt wrote:
Hello,

Mystician, you're right the direction would have to be as per Banachek's original instructions, but typing them up pretty much gives away the method...I forgot to credit Banachek in the write up.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt

My bad. I should know that you'd be more complete in the nuances of the effect when you get down to the method in the actual manuscript - it's just that it looked like a fully pattered, rather than paraphrased, routine, and I thought that it was rather risky as it was.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A Presentation--The Black Box Recordings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL