The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Competing with mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
Hi!
I wonder if anyone on the boards have competed in the art of mentalism. If, how did it go and what effects did you perform?

Why I wonder is because I'm planning on competing in about five months and therefore could use some advice.

//Christian
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2949 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
You guys have a mentalism competition in Sweden? Nice. I have never been in a mentalism competition, but I suggest you perform effects that speak to you on some level and that feel natural and good to you.

Good luck.
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
I agree with Alexandre. Basicly I'm not a big fan of competitions like that very much. IMO the biggest benefit is that you can see different routines and get some ideas. Reason is that I did Tournament dancing (Standard/Latin) in the early 90ies. And even if you are good and have great expectations if you don't have a lobby or good connectio to jury you can get disappointed very quick.

Same experience I made at some magic competitions many years ago.

Depite that IMO everyone should make his own experiences since no competition is alike others. So here are my personal tips for you.

Like at all magic competitions there will be many mentalists and magicians also in the jury so don't try to fool the insiders. Just present the effects as natural as you are with a patter that fits your persona.

They want to see your style and persona even if you perform the same effect two others did before you. Like the old ruse says that I you give 5 magicians the same routine at the end you will see 5 different effects.

I don't know if this is a pure mental competition or a magic competition with mental magic category. So if the latter is the case according to my experiences from observing some magic competitions you must be aware that most of the competetors are magicians who present magic effects within a mental context.

So what kind of effects do you plan to perform.
I'm sure I can speak in the name of almost all Café-members I wish you all the best and a lot of fun.

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
This actually is a mental magic competition but since I'm into mentalism, why not perform mentalism?

Since it still is quite early I do not know how many people are pefroming. What I do know is that as you say some of the people performing are magicians. I see no problem with this and just hope that my a little more mental perona will help me. I have not decided the effects yet but I'm right now searching so if anyone has any advice I would be happy to know.

I want to perfrom an ESP trick of som kind. It's a match up with my own twistat at the end. I know this is not "pure" mentalism but it is an effect I enjoy perfroming and that suites me.

Then I would probably go with some kind of billet effect. don't know which one yet... Again if you have any advice, please tell me!

//Christian
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Well sounds good. As mentioned above by Alexandre and me. Just present the material that's your best. What you described really sounds great.

So I also want to make clear that I didn't want to cast a bad shadow on such competitions. So as a conclusion from my post I would say: Go there, present your show and have fun. If you succeed -- great. If you don't get the success you wanted to have -- no problem.

So again, the effects you described sound really good. The ESP match up with your own twist also could be a real winner.

A good routine which comes to my mind right now and which IMO would fit perfectly for the competition would be 'Clip line deluxe' from Richard Osterlinds' new Mind Mysteries DVD set. Its on Vol.6. Its a fantastic variation of the classic effect with great new twists.
I guess that this could surprise and amaze a lot of magicians there including the jury.

So again I really wish you all the best from my deepest heart and if there is anything I coudl help you with just drop a PM.

Where is this competition located?

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
It's in the southern part of Sweden. It's like the Swedish championchips. It's my first competition som my goal is just to have fun. I do not know how many if or if anyone else will attend mental magic, but I hope. No matter what I just see it as a good lesson in both developing an act and performing.

I'll check the osterlind effect as well.

Thanks

//Christian
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
FISM of course has always had a Mental Magic competition.
Normally only a few entries, but one idea would be to search out
the reports by Tim Ellis & Wittus Witt who have recorded what people performed at past events.

This may give you a feel for what sort of thing works in a competitive environment.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1231 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
You can find our reports on FISM 2000 here http://www.magicunlimited.com/fism_2000.htm

and FISM 2003 here
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/katzkin/PUBFISM2003.htm

FISM 2000 had one or two stand-out mentalists, and one who didn't even get his own trick right, but FISM 2003 actually had a VERY high standard of mentalism entrants - some EXTREMELY entertaining.
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Delmondo, where will you be competing?

I'll be competing this next february in Flasoma 2006 in Bogota, Colombia in the Mental Magic category (although the effect is pure mentalism, with no props at all)
Lets see how it goes

Juan D
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 21:36, Juan D wrote:
Delmondo, where will you be competing?

I'll be competing this next february in Flasoma 2006 in Bogota, Colombia in the Mental Magic category (although the effect is pure mentalism, with no props at all)
Lets see how it goes

Juan D

In Sweden... It is like the Swedish championchips. Whaqt will you pefrom? Anyway: Good luck to you!

//Christian
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Hi Tim,

thanks for the links, spent a happy few minutes remembering the "highlights" of Lisbon. Smile

Timothy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Competing with mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL