The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Criss Angel quarter through soda can - Reviews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
Okay, it seems once again that my immense insecurities ruled my world. I purchased this DVD four weeks ago and tonight I finally had the balls to show it to a friend, who is also a magician.

I was stunned by his reaction. I figured he would know for sure how it worked, but he didn't!! He was completely blown away.

No I am convinced this trick is truly a winner.
vago
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
115 Posts

Profile of vago
Bought it
It's great
BUT none of the cans here (Israel) fit the criteria.
I will check out imports this weekend but it narrows down the impromptu part.
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
What exactly is the problem with the can in Isreal? Is it their size (thinner?)
Can you improvise?
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
Give the trick a few years to "mature" and when everyone else is doing the latest and greatest coins across routine you can do this and floor everyone.
coloniemagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of coloniemagic
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 23:23, emyers99 wrote:
Here are my thoughts:
1) The trick is awesome. One of, if not the, best improptu tricks ever invented;
2) Wayne is fabulous. His handling blows Chris' out of the water by a long shot;
3) Chris was as useless on this dvd as Ammar was on the Doc Eason videos. Wayne was the star and should have made this dvd by himself;
4) Chris' explanation for why he released this dvd knowing that the general public would be able to get it easily was as lame as most of his stunts on Mindfreak;
5) Hearing Chris talk about how he made the handling his own was comical. Even Wayne was speechless. Chris' handling was nowhere near as convincing as Wayne's, and by "making it my own" Chris really means "I just chose not to do the hard parts."
6) The interview was way too long.

Bottom line (for me anyway), Wayne was fabulous and should have released this dvd on his own and kept all the profits to himself.

Some people don't understand Criss' style which is my own also, even before Ive heard of him although he has helped me refine it. Coin thru can is BRILLIANT. Wyane is good at teaching it - HOWEVER he handles the can like a "magician" and it doesn't look natural like when Criss handles it. Criss said "don't make it look magicky". When you handle a can you don't jerk it, spin it switch hands to SEE NO COIN HERE. Criss' handling is much more relaxed and natural. don't try to insult your spectators by being fancy-THERE IS NO NEED- they are lay-people. Also, Criss' thoughts on releasing this and self lev. are honest and respectable.THIS IS A MUST BUY!!!!

coloniemagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of coloniemagic
Quote:
On 2005-11-11 08:12, emyers99 wrote:
The highlight of the dvd is by far Wayne's ultra free handling of the can. Even when he explains what he is doing, it is still very easy to get fooled. His subleties for spinning and flipping the can are pure genius.

As for how many Wayne would have sold without Chris' help, that's open for debate. I think he would have sold just as many if he had gone the normal demo video route on Hocus or Hank Lee. Think about it, most of us bought it after seeing Wayne do it, not Chris. And I'm sure several people put off buying it simply because it was done on tv and is available to the general public. The thing that bothered me the most about the dvd was Chris' explanation of why this dvd was released to the public. Basically it boils down to Chris saying that magicians shouldn't be so secretive. What!!!?? Isn't that why we are all magicians in teh first place...to do things 99.9% of the population thinks is impossible. If you want to get the public more involved in magic, fine but don't let your medium be a trick that was someone elses pet creation that they have been making a living with for years. Lame.

Am I a fan of Chris'? No way. Am I a fan of WAYNE's trick? Absolutely. Fantastic trick.

Michael: We'll have fun practicing this at lunch. I"ll bring a case of beer and I'm sure the Caucus Room won't mind if we make a huge mess and get plastered in the process.

I love how everyone says they are not fans of Criss'. You also must have missed when Criss said he wishes he had these resources when he was growing up cuz without Criss releasing this we would not know how to do this effect. NOW LETS GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE BANACHECK, BANACHECK, BANCHECK!!!!!! my mentor forever.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
...NOW LETS GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE BANACHECK, BANACHECK, BANCHECK!!!!!! my mentor forever.

aka groupie?
Magic is a vanishing art.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
LOL
magicmanst
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
19 Posts

Profile of magicmanst
I find that I perform this effect far more like Criss' than Wayne's. I agree that the more you show it, the more it appears as though you are trying to hide something. Keep it simple, and you'll have better results
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
I was just wondering why do most people use 10p coins (english) as I have found 5p's fit in almost anything,
must the coin be a certain size?
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
812 Posts

Profile of e-man
Happy Holidays! EVERYBODY
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Dingster
View Profile
New user
Australia (currently in Japan)
8 Posts

Profile of Dingster
I was thinking of a situation where it would be improper to deface a coin. Thanks anyway...I'll come up with something when I have a bit more time.
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 01:48, jsheas wrote:
Yea.... stickers get soggy and wet and may fall off in carbonated acidic drinks. Not to mention when you provide the stickers I think you are taking the impromptu aspect from this trick. I think you are making this harder on yourself. Use a sharpie. I would not turn down a quarter if it had your initials on it. Don't worry about defacing it.
Nighthawk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Nighthawk
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 05:05, tonycrew wrote:
This is an amazing Trick of which I have done twice now once to my family and once to some friends.. It's not hard to master it only took me a couple of hours and 3-4 practise session on cans and I had it down.. I have changed the routine a little to my own style abit.. I recomend this to anyone who wants to add something different to there arsenal of magic.. Even beginners like me can master this one.

Agreed...its more than amazing....and you can personalize it to your style and kick it up a notch or two or three...I have been using it in combination with Subterfuge....and it kills and is less angle sensitive....I went through a good number of soda cans in practice not so much to master but rather to achieve a confidence in which I could perform.......really really good value....and well-taught to boot....as a postscript I much perfer Cris Angel in a teaching situation than in a performance situation....comes across more more genuine etc..
googs
View Profile
New user
CT
1 Post

Profile of googs
The mere fact that people are mentioning that the hole in the can is not large enough can be regarded as exposure. I came across this effect today and do NOT have the video nor have I heard of the effect, and watching the demo and reading reviews I was able to easily figure it out. It seems now that it is not worth the money. But tell me, does it involve something to the effect of: slam the bottom of the can, distract audience, hide coin somehow, rattle the coin against the bottom of the can out of sight so it seems like it is inside, when you open it drop it in and then shake it some more? Why else would the hole size matter? Please correct me if I'm wrong, b/c I might buy it anyway.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6965 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
That would be exposure.
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
Googs: all I can say is that you're dead wrong!..hehe
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Quote:
On 2006-01-14 12:57, googs wrote:
The mere fact that people are mentioning that the hole in the can is not large enough can be regarded as exposure. I came across this effect today and do NOT have the video nor have I heard of the effect, and watching the demo and reading reviews I was able to easily figure it out. It seems now that it is not worth the money. But tell me, does it involve something to the effect of: slam the bottom of the can, distract audience, hide coin somehow, rattle the coin against the bottom of the can out of sight so it seems like it is inside, when you open it drop it in and then shake it some more? Why else would the hole size matter? Please correct me if I'm wrong, b/c I might buy it anyway.

This is why so many people do inferior versions of effects and give magic a bad name.
Allot of thought went into this and it is a pity like so many other effects (ie the bill switch), that people do not learn it from the originator. I enjoy Waynes handling, I think it is far from flourishy and worth the effort you put in.

Do yourself a favour and purchase the dvd, you will not regret it. The method seems so simple yet this is why it hits hard and leaves no clue to the method.

Kind regards Jonathan
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Bro not for nothing but you are wrong in how you think it is done. I wrote a review on it a while back and I thought it was pretty in depth. Go back and give it a read.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1336 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
If someone wants to do this trick, buy the DVD.

It really is enough said that you will not regret it if you enjoy practice, and sharing a truly miraculous moment or two with others.

Someone may know the 'how' (and I stress 'may') but that has nothing to do with being able to 'do' the how. Not in a manner befitting the trick from it's creator.

The thought behind this particular effect is what elevates the trick and it's creator way above the junk that passes for magic and entertainment en masse out there already.
Flo
View Profile
New user
Paris
50 Posts

Profile of Flo
It isn't possible to do it with coke cans in France
but it works very well with Heineken and 1 euro coin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Criss Angel quarter through soda can - Reviews (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.57 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL