The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marked deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
belgarion88
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of belgarion88
If you do a mentalism trick with a marked deck, what do you think is the best way and mind-blowing way to reveal their card?
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
That's a fairly difficult to answer. What effect are you trying to achieve? Is it part of a larger routine?!

I would suggest, however, that revealing a card with a marked deck is hardly 'mindblowing' - the audience will often assume a marked deck, and if this is your modus operandi, they will feel justified in telling you to face the other way, or other such tests.

I would reccomend using a marked deck in a way that bears no resemblance to 'reading the cards' type effect - the method and effect are a little too close. There are many many effects with a marked deck, my favourite being Andy Nyman's Homicide from SHort Punchy and Mental.

If you want to 'read minds' with cards, I would steer clear of marked decks. There are many mane other ways to learn thought of cards. Pick up a copy of Corinda, Annemann, Or Osterlind's superb BCS.

Hope this helps,

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
With automatic writing I've produced
340 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
Quote:
If you want to 'read minds' with cards, I would steer clear of marked decks. There are many mane other ways to learn thought of cards. Pick up a copy of Corinda, Annemann, Or Osterlind's superb BCS.

I agree with the use of stacking, but juice-marked cards that are good enough for distance reading is ok.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Gus,

I agree in principle, that if you can get a glimpse of the cards, then why not use it. I just feel that to rely on marked cards is not the most sound method. Spectators often feel that magicians use marked cards.

If I could 'read' what card a person has looked at, I feel that I should be faced away, never touch the deck, and the deck is hidden by another person, before I even start. I use Osterlind's BCS, and Marc Spelmann's excellent Glimpse, to achieve this.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
Quote:
I use Osterlind's BCS, and Marc Spelmann's excellent Glimpse, to achieve this.

Actually, I do too.
That, in combination with a brainwave deck...
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Indeed, a very powerful effect (I use the ID, much the same!!)
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I'm sure I'm wrong and that ther'll be many who come after me saying that they do, however, I can honestly say that I know lots of guys in 'the business' but don't know any who are using a marked deck anymore.

Now I'm sure that there are some things where it would be advantageous but I simply can't think of any situation where one would need to really, coupled with the 'potential' dangers of revelation.

belgarion88, I'm assuming you're new to mentalism. Nothing wrong with that, we 'all' were..... welcome!!! Stick around, buy a few videos. Find out where you can learn about 'set-up' decks and how to learn how to handle them. As you go through the journey of course you'll also discover that even they aren't necessary.

All the best.

Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
Quote:
Now I'm sure that there are some things where it would be advantageous but I simply can't think of any situation where one would need to really, coupled with the 'potential' dangers of revelation.

Ted Lesley has a nice Card Stabbing routine where a signed card from a marked deck actually is given away as a souvenir to the spectator.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE with the right handling and the right presentation. Then there is no such thing as danger of revelation.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I mentioned earlier Andy Nyman's routine, using a marked deck - there are many potential uses for a marked deck.

In terms of an unwanted 'revelation' of the markings, it is avoidable by (a) not using a marked deck initially, and allowing the spectators to handle the cards freely (this will stop any suspiscion later) and (b) to use effects totally abstract from the possibility of using a marked deck, or where it is only a tool for something larger. ie Mentioned above is Mr Lesley's card stab - not exactly an obvious 'candidate' for a marked card in the eyes of a spectator. Not so with a mindreading effect.

Just my thoughts.

Si
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
252 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
Marked Deck + Stack = Impossible, clean, fair and powerfull mentalism
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
Belgarion88, the Demon Deck by Larry Becker does exactly what Ricardo mentions above. I don't use it, but this deck would do exactly what you're looking for. It uses Richard Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System. I highly recommend vol. 2 of Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries which will teach you the BCS and several routines using the system.

But if you're new to mentalism, I'd second Simon's suggestion and pick up Corinda and Annemann, and if you want to see that material "in action" get Osterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Lesley's "The spectator as mindreader" is a great and fun way to use a marked deck.
There are also other, similar effetcts around

Sven
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
Quote:
On 2005-11-11 09:07, ricardothibau wrote:
Marked Deck + Stack = Impossible, clean, fair and powerfull mentalism

Then, do it the right way. Mark it with the deck position instead of card value, just like Ed Marlo did.
T. Eugene
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of T. Eugene
Do somebody familiar with: “The Predictable Card”?
http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/hotitems.html

They say: This is by far the most professional marked deck ever made. Specially printed by the US Playing Card Company with the Bicycle Rider Back design. The markings on this deck are the most subtle we have ever seen. We promise your spectators will never see the marks even under a magnifying glass! The packaging is identical to that of a regular deck of Bicycle Rider Back cards. The suit and value can be identified from either end of the card so there's no chance of the cards getting turned the wrong way. Comes with a clear reference chart to aid you in learning the marking system. Marked cards don't get any better than this!

Is it new? Is it Lesley-Wild’s principle or another?
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
T. Eugene-

Upon receiving the Predictable Card deck, I immediately searched for the markings. I gave up after a few minutes. You would have to know Bike backs like the back of your hand in order to locate the markings. I would be shocked if a layman discovered The markings. They are not as bold as those on the Boris Wild deck and they are not based on the Lesley-Wild principle.

IMO, the Predictable Card is better suited (pun intended) for close up.

The deck is specially printed by the US Playing Card Company with the BICYCLE Rider Back design. It is available only in red.
rrubin98
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta (USA)
277 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
I prefer the Ultimate Marked Deck, which is printed by the U.S. Playing Card Company and is (for me) easier to read than Boris Wild's system. I also agree with a previous post that using a marked deck with a stack allows for some superb mentalism effects.

Richard
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I have that deck and have used it hundreds of times without being burned. Everyone around here always seems to say that presentation is supposed to be more important than methods. It might be that advanced mentalists consider using a marked deck as cheating a bit too much, but this deck is amazing. I let a magician friend of mine look at them at it took him almost 3 minutes to spot anything. He's no dummy either, they are just that good. Anyways, I don't have a single routine where the spectators have 3 minutes to examine the cards.

This is the way I use them. I give the deck to the spec. and ask them to spread the cards out messily all over the table. I then ask them to mover their finger over the deck until they feel drawn to one, and place their finger on it and keep it on the card. I then slowly gather up the rest of the cards and straighten them into a pile on the table. I then ask them to peek at their card while my back is turned and then put their card anywhere back in the deck, and put the cards back into the box. I just ask them to conentrate on their card, telling them that I will make some statements about their card, but ask them not to react in any way or agree with or deny the statements. I then narrow it down as dramatically as I can, and name their card. I intentionally miss but get very close the first time most of the time. I then either try again with the same person using a "getting in tune" angle, or try with someone else with a "varying degrees of receptability" angle. When strolling, I try to keep about an 80% success rate. I have never once been asked about the cards, or to have them examined. It may be risky, but I like my presentation for it and it gets among the strongest reactions of everything I do.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.spelz.net
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
There are professionals using marked decks, (Marc Spelmann for instance) they just hide it well. I believe the "trick" is working with a presentation that doesn't "suggest" marked cards at all, steering away from that altogether.

I use a marked deck to perform some of my mentalism, in fact had an entire (thought short) eBook dealing with bizarre effects with a marked deck now included in The Black School. It really all boils down to presentation.

The best way to reveal a card using a marked deck is in any way that doesn't easily suggest you're performing with a marked deck.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On 2005-11-11 11:25, Sven Rygh wrote:
Lesley's "The spectator as mindreader" is a great and fun way to use a marked deck.
There are also other, similar effetcts around

Sven

I say Bingo, give the man a prize! This and his card stab are the only two marked deck effects I do.
Rajat Mittal
View Profile
New user
London
98 Posts

Profile of Rajat Mittal
I've been using the marked deck extensively for many years now, and have got some great reactions from it. I have methods to do most of these effects with borrowed cards ofcourse, but marked cards are just simple, and it makes no difference to the spectators as long as they don't suspect it. Here are some tips that have worked well for me:

1) Where the circumstances allow, use a blindfold. You need to have an audience receptive to something this elaborate ofcourse, but where you do, it is mind blowing! Only magicians would be able to see through the double deception of a peek blindfold and marked deck. In fact, you'll be surprised how many "mind reading" card effects you can do blindfolded, even with regular cards, and even with a genuine blindfold! I've found blind folds add a lot of value to my presentations.

2) Practice reading the cards. You won't believe how many magicians think marked decks are "self working." If you have to stare at the cards, they will know! You need to be able to read the cards in a split second, and without bending over the cards. You should never be seen to "look" at the cards. The reading should be done as a passing glimpse. This is not easy in the least. Untill you can do this perfectly, I would insist on wearing a blindfold - because then you can look at the cards as long as you wish.

3) As has been mentioned already, stacked decks in combination with marked cards = miracles.

4) Always do tricks with marked cards that don't involve the marks, and mix them it with those that do. It takes the heat of the cards, and you will be able to duplicate effects when you are using regular effects.

Posted: Jan 23, 2006 4:46am
----------------------------------------------
Sorry, you had asked for presentation ideas:

1) Design duplication.
2) Scattered cards (face down) on table. Move a pendulum over the cards - the pendulum swings when over the selected card. Extremely powerful if done blind folded.
3) Spread the cards, face down, and ask them to pick one they are "drawn" to. Ask them questions about there personal life (occupation, interests, etc.). Explain that people with these kind of characteristics tend to be drawn towards the red cards in general (maybe hearts), and often court cards. Don't get more specific than this. Check to see if you're right. Repeat with other people, and only suceed 80% of the time.
4) Have a pack shuffled. Tell them that cards have a deep underlying pattern that persists irrespective of shuffling. For instance, lets pull out any three cards from this shuffled pack, that are seperated by just two cards between them (or some other connection - it just not totally random or it is too unbelievable). Ask them to look at any two cards and tell you what they are, and you can tell them if the third card is odd or even (red or black, high or low). A very entertaining version is to use only court cards, and predict male/female.

I can think of another 20 (I should write a book on this), but you get the idea. Basically, try to steer away from being too precise, and you will never be suspected. What's more, the effect will actually be stronger.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marked deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL