The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Crystal Silk Cylinder help...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I figured this would be the best area to ask about the Crystal Silk Cylinder! I really like the looks to the CSC sold on Duane Laflin's website. However, I want to make sure I am purchasing something in great quality and not just appearance... Any pros or cons? Would you recommend a different style? brand? etc...?

Bryan
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Bryan:

I've only seen Laflin's CSC on their DVD catalog - it looks pretty good, but there are better ones out there. I've ordered quite a few things from Laflin, and I like them pretty well. I've come to expect good quality, but never great. So, I would expect the same with their CSC.

A beautiful one is made by Chalet Magic - I think it's just a bit over $100.00, too. Their link is http://www.chaletstephens.com/catalog.html

I noticed http://www.dazzlingmagic.com sells one for about $150.00, and it looks good, too. Personally, I don't like anything that has sparkle tape on it, but it is nicely done.

Lastly, if you want to go crazy, there is one at http://www.owenmagic.com - I don't know if they have the price listed, but I'm sure it's in the $300.00 to $400.00 range.

I hope this helps you - if I ever get a CSC, I'll go with the Chalet model.

Ron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bryan,

The Crystal Silk Cylinder is a great prop. I only have three of them for my uses!

Mine are all alike and were originally MAK. I use them to death in many ways. The MAK artwork is not my favorite and repainting is an easy job since only the dragon tube is repainted. Dazzling Magic has the prettiest ones I've seen and they are heavy plastic instead of metal. No doubt, they are worth the money. The MAKs do bend and break over time. (They also come apart in the car from heat!)

The reason I use what I do is because MAK has the "Additional red Cylinder" available. I would not want the prop without it. Without it you cannot show both the clear tube and the hollow tubes empty. You can only show one or the other. The extra tube is what sells the trick to the audience. I have done two national TV commercials over the years for Fortune 500 companies using custom props like this. I'm sold!

If I were starting over, I would like the ones from Dazzling Magic best IF (notice that word IF!) they can get the "Additional Cylinder" to go with it. You're dealing with good folks. I expect they would solve the problem, if they knew it meant "sale" or "no sale". Use two and you can do a transposition!

Enjoy!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I used a MAK Crystal Silk Cylinder for years, for a routine from my Christmas show. I even incorporated the tacky dragon stencil into my patter. Smile

I also own a jumbo one made by MAK years ago. It has blue and gold diagonal stripes on the tube. Stands over 24" high.

BTW, even though I don't own the Dazzling Magic model (its been on my wish list for a while now, where I saw it at in Duane's catalog first, and then on the Dazzling Magic website), I think the CSC that Duane Laflin sells is the Dazzling Magic one. I think they are one and the same prop.

They both look the same in the photos, they are both priced the same, and Duane does a lot of business with Marty Hahne. I think if you order directly from Marty, there are a wider choice of color options. They both have worked together to make a DVD specifically about use of this prop (I don't own this DVD either, just noticed it is a new addition to both of their lines).

Also, don't forget that Dazzling Magic sells some variations of the CSC, such as the Test Tube Bunny, and Dove to Rabbit Cylinder, etc. Those props don't have to be used for livestock exclusively.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Absolutely. I use the test tube bunny for a 90" silk production to produce CEO all the time.

Marty's stuff is well made of a good gauge of plastic that will hold up.

Ron outlined the options well.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Marty and Richard (also known as the Kent State gang) produce quality props.

Dazzling Magic's Chrystal Silk Cylinders belong on the "want" list. Tell Santa now! You know magicians have pull!

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I just put in my request to Santa, Bob. I know you have some pull, so please put in a good word for me. I have been a go.........semi-good boy this year.

Thanks!

Regan
Mister Mystery
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Personally, I take the coal. It's going to be a cold winter.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I almost forgot that this summer I redid an old Mak/UF Grant Crystal Silk Cylinder. It was the two-tube method. If anyone is interested in seeing the photo, PM me with your email address and I'll send you the photo. It turned out real nicely - I was very pleased.

Also, I have an amateur website with photos of a few of my restorations. I have many more photos, but I put a few up. Here's my rinky-dink website:

http://members.cox.net/ronreid/

Ron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ron,

I took a look at you site. Thanks for the button. The items shown look good. Chalet uses that color blue on the things George makes for me. So you know I would approve! What kind of paint are you using?

The Balloon Buster is one of Lucy's favorite props. Sometimes I think she should write a book on 101 ways to use it. Not many people around here do use it.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Regan, Santa has me on his list but you don't want on that one!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Veteran user
Fresno, CA
306 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Ron,

Wow ! The props are gorgeous.Excellent job,sir!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 23:51, Bob Sanders wrote:

PS --- Regan, Santa has me on his list but you don't want on that one!

Bob,

I was afraid that might be the case!

Ron,

Those look fantastic! Would you mind telling us what kind of paint you use?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Thanks for the nice words, guys! I have a ton more photos I'll put up on my little site real soon. It's just a little side hobby of mine. I'm real low tech; I use Krylon paint (enamel) most of the time. Other times, I used "Painter's Touch" from Home Depot.

Ron
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
You're welcome Ron, and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to future pics!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Great advice to all!!! The Dazzling Magic CSC is exactly what I am looking for.. Now I have to get it approved through the finance department (my wife)...

Bryan
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2005-11-18 21:14, SteelLuvMagic wrote:
Great advice to all!!! The Dazzling Magic CSC is exactly waht I am looking for.. Now I have to get it approved through the finance department (my wife)...

Bryan

Good luck with that!
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan, I'm with you on that one. That's often where the real magic is required!

Good Luck Bryan!

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Right Bob!

Can anyone give some specifics as to Chalet's Crystal Silk Cylinder? Colors available, size, etc...

Thanks!

Regan
Mister Mystery
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I just bought the Dazzling CSC at the Abbott's Get-Together, and it is absolutely amazing! I kick myself for not spending the extra money and buying it to begin with. First and foremost, the Dazzling model actually works. You don't have to worry about there being a little surprise waiting for you when you load it with silks, put on the cover, then remove the cover. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. ;-) Plus, Marty & Brenda Hahne are absolutely fabulous people that definitely go the extra mile for their customers. While you're surfing their site, check out their Square Circle, too. It's equally well constructed.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I can also attest to the quality of the Dazzling Magic ( http://dazzlingmagic.com ) Crystal Silk Cylinder. A lot of thought went into the prop, and there are many details that make it better that I don't really want to discuss in an open forum, but let's just say that Marty Hahne thought of everything when designing their Crystal Silk Cylinder. The Chalet ones are nice, but from what I hear, the plastic will yellow and cloud up over time - that is not the case with the Dazzling Magic Crystal Silk Cylinders.
I also suggest getting the CSC DVD that Marty Hahne put out, along with Duane Laflin - there are lots of good routines and ideas on that DVD, as well. $149 may seem like a lot to some people to spend on a utility device like this, but it is worth every penny, and considering the quality of the prop and how long it will last, they should probably charge even more!
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Crystal Silk Cylinder help...? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL