The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lighting a match at the fingertips with the mind! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Hey guys,

I am putting some finishing touches into my stage manip. act. I realised I need a self lighting match to start the cig. part of my act. Now I have 2 choices,

Auto Light Match by Michael P. Lair
EFFECT: A match is removed from a matchbox and struck against the striking paper a few times, when the matchbox accidentally falls to the floor. The magician, spotting the matchbox on the floor, concentrates on the match until it lights automatically

Auto-match-ic by El Duco
EFFECT: Holding a match between your fingers, you rub the box against your elbow and the match lights up! Comes Complete

Now I have purchased a Michael p. lair video and he teaches the auto light match. I love the method. As for the other version I know little about it accept the gimmick is visible the whole time. I was wondering for people who used this second effect from el duco if the gimmick used is very realistic looking. At times I will be preforming this act close up, does everything look cosher at close range? And for the people who have both and have worked with them which do you prefer, I will purchase both if I have to just a little low on cash right now.

Thanks guys,

DJ
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Patrick Raymond from Canada teaches one in his lecture...Cordially,Howard
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello DJ:

I don't think I'm giving away any great secret here...someone used to make a gimmick that nested on the matchstick. It had striker material on it, so that by rubbing it up and/or down the match, you get the self-lighting effect.

I think you could do this relatively close up. It's not invisible, I don't think there's a lot of attention on a match stick. It's kind of a boring prop, so if it doesn't look quite right, I think you'll still be fine.

I've never seen the El Duco item, but it sounds like what I'm thinking of. May be worth buying.

As a possible alternative, have you considered the match from lapel? You reach up to your lapel (or wherever you want) and produce a lit match. There are a number of guys who make reliable gimmicks for this.

Ron
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
I make a Lit Match From Anywhere for my own routine. Just pin the gimmicks wherever you want them and pull the lit match from it. The gimmicks are not hard to make if you're handy, and will last well over a dozen performances each, and the materials are relatively inexpensive.

Great for in the sleeves of your jacket, breast pocket, inside your shirt where it buttons up, etc.

I have also put a small slice of strike pad with double-sided tape on my thumb, and held the match with both thumb and 1st finger of each hand. Concentrated and let go with one hand as the match burst into flame.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I have many match pulls, I want to hold the match at the fingertips and have it lite up. Ron that method sounds really cool, if that is the el duco effect I think I am going to try it out. And gray wolf, do you know of a magic dealer who sells these lecture notes? and is the method taught in the notes one of the ones we are talking about here?

Thanks guys,

DJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lighting a match at the fingertips with the mind! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL