We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Corinda's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kou
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of kou
I am interested in constructing "De Profundis" from 13 Steps. Could someone who has put together the props PM me with information on where I might obtain a high-quality "PL"? Most novelty stores that I've visited tend to carry very poor versions of this item.

Thanks in advance.
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
I made my own recently out of pieces of ballon and super glue. Used the same hose that comes with most "rose squirters" or plate lifters.

E-Leoni.
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
692 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
I tried to make this many moons ago, what fun trying to conceal the balloon in the rope core and still getting it to work. I found it impossible, great in theory, but impractical. I even tried making a tube of material to look like a rope, eventually I gave up. Please pm me if you are successful and let me know how you went about it and if it works, any tips would be great.
Many thanks
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Is this the same as Zella's Thought Projector, marketed by U.F. Grant & Abbott's in the 30s/40s? It sure sounds like it is.
I could be wrong, but aren't the moderators supposed to move stuff like this, where secrets are (even peripherally) discussed) to Secret Sessions?
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
Greetings!

I have replicated many of Mr. Corinda's routines to "modern day" but I gotta say this one stumps me...even if you find a good "PL" it won't be long enough. I guess you could make your own, but even if it was perfectly constructed, there would still need to be some "linguistic" work to have the spec fall in with you...good luck, if this ends up being POSSIBLE on stage, then my kudos!...I always thought this was one of those pieces that would never work on stage, but might push the stage performer to adapt...

Don Marco
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Sometime in the far distant past I found a long PL & made the thing up---more or less. The "transmitter" part never went inside the "carrier" (if you get my drift), but the other, spectator, end, went in quite easily. You have to "core" the "carrier" & use a larger size that usual, which is better from the visibility standpoint, as well.
It WAS marketed, after all, so GRant MUST have made it work back in the 30s.
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
This post serves as a great example...Just like Dunninger's stuff, sometimes the simplest effects were created out of the most complicated measures. Now, this effect is mindblowing, no doubt. However, I feel we may have become spoiled in this age of technology, for extreme effects are nowadays often accomplished by simple workings. Think about all the work Malini would do to pull off an effect. We must sacrifice serious time and effort (not even including the practice!) to make something truly "magical" happen.

I must admit, I loved the idea of this effect when I first read it, however it didn't take long before I gave up and moved on!

What does the perfect effect mean to the layperson? Surely it is a memory that they will always carry around with them, and probably greatly exaggerate to friends in the future!

Isn't that worth the experimentation, effort, workshop time, and trial and error we should put every effect thru?

Just as guilty as the rest of us for this,
Don Marco
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Friends:
Dunninger really USED the special rope, and PUNX did too. They had never problems with it......and I have no problems with it either, because I "hit" on the funny idea, to install that "secret something" into a neck-tie. This hides the gimmick perfectly. In due time you`ll read my own special routine with it, which isn`t baffling only, it is a sure fire laugh as well. Watch my webpage for further details.

Crazy, isn`t it?????
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
In a necktie!! Well I suppose that's one way to ensure the desired result. I'll be interested in reading how you get the necktie on the spectator when you publish your routine.

All the best,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
The necktie is a cool idea.
I too had trouble with the rope. I finally went to a fabric store and found something used for edging stuff (pillows?) It was a cloth tube stuffed with soft batting. I didn't worry about making it look like a rope, it just functioned like one.
The presentation I used was about the ambiguity of psychic phenomenon, how you can’t tell if you predicted something or if the subject read your mind. I think this approach helps with the “linguistic” work needed to make it effective.
Regards,
Victor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Corinda's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL