The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An Australian Skeptic member of this forum??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
638 Posts

Profile of Sensio
I was surfing the net and found this link about Lynne Kelly who is a member of our forum:

The Skeptic Tank - Cold Reading - Richard Saunders and Lynne Kelly

http://www.skeptics.com.au/tank/index.html

I just wanted to inform our community about this.

aware
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
So what ?

Howard
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Who cares?
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
I am a skeptic and an athiest. Does that make any difference to my audience who wants to be entertained by the power of the mind?

In fact, I would venture you would find many skeptics who know mentalism beyond Penn & Teller, Randi, Jami Ian Swiss, and others who wiould prefer not to accept being taken to the gates and stoned by the Christian right (or any funda-mentalist) as an occupational hazard.

Skeptics question - and do not necessarily expose entertainment methods -- or accept our entertainment "miracles" on faith.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
I do!

Exposure of real work is just that.

Why don't they go after real con's?

Mmmmmm afraid I would say.
Possibly just not smart enough.
(I truly belive this)

Jack

Catch me if you can!
Dying now.
Oh what fun!
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Well, I enjoyed listening to it - Thanks for the link.

Seems to me that Lynne just verbalizes one of the many points of view we have here on the forum. Lucky to have this discussion freedom aren't we.
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Being a skeptic is fine, being an exposer is not.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Well, I'm not sure we can blanketly say "being an exposer is not [fine]". Arguably, Houdini did a service to the world by exposing fake mediums. I have trouble with the exposing faith healers, and their ilk. I would never expose an entertainment, but a con is fairly and reasonably exposed.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Lynne explains what magic she would and wouldn't expose and her thinking on these issues in a thread at this Australian online magic forum.

http://www.themagicstore.com.au/forum/

I think you need to register to view the Mentalism section.

aware, I think you'll find there are many skeptics registered here,
some more skeptical than others.

:)
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

I am a skeptic but have a problem with exposure.

Jack

H.O.A-X
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I am a proud owner of a copy of Lynne Kelly's book "The Skeptic's Guide to the PARANORMAL." It's a good read.

If you would like to read a little about the history and exposure of 'psychics and mediums' then try, "The Indescribable Phenomenon," "The Darkened Room, Women, Power, and Spiritualism in Late Victorian England," "Miracle Mongers and their Methods," "The Table-Rappers, The Victorians and the Occult," or "The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini," to name but a few.

Skeptics expose the fake, not the entertainer.

All the best,

Rob
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1342 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Even in the short time that I have known her, I can attest that Lynne Kelly is one of the most amazing people in my circle of friends. She is a wonderful person with a brain that simply stuns me. Her accomplishments are truly inspiring, including being a teacher, published novelist, science writer, performer, and intuitive reader (and creator of the in-depth Tauromancy system). In addition, she is one of the most personable people I've had the pleasure to meet. She is absolutely NOT an exposer, and deeply respects and treasures both magic and mentalism. Being a skeptic, or having a general, open-minded discussion of cold reading does not constitute exposure, notwithstanding any claims of the magical McCarthy Committee. Lynne is very open about her views, and is a credit to the field of mentalism.

Seth
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Quote:
Skeptics expose the fake, not the entertainer.

Yes, but fakes and entertainers use the same techniques.

When magicians object to exposure, they object to the exposure of magical techniques to non-magicians.

Why don't we give Lynn the benefit of the doubt.

Lynn, have you ever exposed magical techniques to non-magicians?
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17665 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I like some of those programs. Thanks for the link!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1342 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Quote:

Lynn, have you ever exposed magical techniques to non-magicians?

I'm sure she would answer you politely and honestly, because she is a good person -- but why even ask the question? Why does Lynne deserve to be asked that question in a public forum like this? Has she done anything except honor magic, and contribute positively to this group? Being a skeptic does not mean she has to publicly account for herself.

The HUAC used to ask citizens questions like that all the time. "Are you now, or have you ever been, a Communist? We have pictures of you eating lunch with a Communist. Are you a homosexual?" The question itself is simply a form of intimidation, and I strongly doubt you have any real basis to attack Lynne with it.

This thread was started by someone who felt the need to warn us that <gasp!> one of our members doesn't believe in the paranormal, and discussed it on the radio. If you listen to the show, you'll find she is open, curious, and welcoming toward those who don't share her views. Also, unlike many skeptics, she deeply values the process of "psychic" reading.

But I'll answer the question. My mom plays Bridge a lot, and I once taught her a card trick. She has amazed her friends with it. I am an EXPOSER!! I exposed a magical technique to a non-magician. Shut me away, revoke my magic license, and have me disemboweled!

Seth
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2032 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2005-11-12 20:00, 7th_Son wrote:
Being a skeptic is fine, being an exposer is not.

From what I've seen, some skeptics expose people who claim paranormal powers but actually use tricks (like Houdini did, as was mentioned above). I've never heard of skeptics exposing magicians and mentalists. There's far more exposure here than at, say, the JREF (James Randi Educational Forum).

It seems to me that the majority of exposure is by magicians.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Quote:
It seems to me that the majority of exposure is by magicians.

how true!

people still don't realize magic is about secrets and entertainment. A lot of the entertainment part comes from the mystery.
You see magicians explain their (and others') secrets in a blink just because the guy who sits with them, who they just met, said he is a magician...

There are also many, many beginner magicians who just expose their tricks after they are done, just to show how cool it was.

Guys, you will be much more appreciated if you tell nothing, but don't underestimate your audience and claim for real powers.

N.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2032 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
There are also many, many beginner magicians who just expose their tricks after they are done, just to show how cool it was.

Many intermediate and advanced magicians often expose secrets as well.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

The JREF might not expose much but the cult leader sure has!

As well as demeaning our work and that of magicians.

Jack

H.O.A_X

I am making comment on Randi and not Lynne.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2032 Posts

Profile of jimtron
What do you mean by cult--are you calling JREF a cult?

Would you mind specifying how JREF and/or Randi has demeaned the work of magicians?

-Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An Australian Skeptic member of this forum??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL