The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Video Conversion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Does anyone know how to take video from Windows Movie Maker and put it into a format that I could put it on putfile.com ?

I have a video I would like to post but putfile says they don't support that media file.

Derek Merdinyan
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1131 Posts

Profile of APC
Should this go in tech support? Anyway, on your question, I think you can download a converter but not sure
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I've done it recently, it was no problem.

Windows Movie Maker has it's own convertion tool, can't recall where without going into the program and surf..try it..
I recall though, the output is a wmv file.
You simply have to load the msw.msmmm file which is a default Windows Movie Maker output file and put it into the present converter.

Just checked on my PC.
It's under Point 3. called soemthing like *Store (file) on the PC*.
My PC language is (unfortunately)in danish so I don't know the exact english wording your screen will show re this will show..but after loading the original Movie maker File,just find that option on the left side/bar of the screen that says something similar like I mentioned above.
Then follow the steps..the upoppping window will show that the file will be stored in WMV format..it's really a piece of cake.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
carddealer69
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of carddealer69
Thank you! I work with movie maker and need to looky at this.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Werner is correct that Windows Movie Maker has its own conversion tool(s). Unfortunately, I believe that while Windows Movie Maker converts files into the familar .wmv (Windows Movie Video) files but does NOT convert finished files into MPEG-2 files. This is a critical distinction because the DVDs that play on set-box players require the file(s) be in MPEG-2 format. Computers will play both the .wmv files and the MPEG-2 files but TVs (using the set-box player) will not.

To convert VHS tapes into "set-box playable" DVDs, you will require a program that will convert videos intoMPEG-2 files. Two such programs are"

1. Adaptec's VideOH! DVD (USB 2.0) which includes the video convertor PLUS Sonic MyDVD video conversion software program. Was being sold by CompUSA for $99.95.

2. Pinaccle Studio Coversion package which contained a video capture device plus a version of Pinnacle's Studio (version 8?) software. Was being sold by CompUSA for $99.95.

I purchased the Adaptec product and an very satisfied with it. I have converted approx 25-30 VHS tapes over to DVDs. The program is quite easy to use although its functionality can be write "clunky" and rigid at times. Ther are "work-arounds" for most of these limitations. You must remember that you are not using a $500.00-$1,000.00 video editing software program but, for what it costs and for what you get, this is an excellent choice.

Hope this helps.

Mike

P.S. PM me if you have any specifiec questions on the Adaptec hardware/software items.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Perhaps
File, Save Movie File...
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Good News and Bad News

I converted the files and loaded the 2 files onto http://www.putfile.com

You can view what I have at http://www.putfile.com/derekmerdinyan

If you do view them (or if you don't) the two DIFFERENT videos I downloaded were the same (for some bizzare reason). Also, both videos cut out about half way through the trick and stop playing.

Any Ideas?

Derek Merdinyan
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Work faster?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Ha Pete!

I just got the videos up and I will be posting the links in another post Smile

Derek Merdinyan
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-11-14 03:01, wsduncan wrote:
Perhaps
File, Save Movie File...

Good suggestion, Bill, but, unfortunately, Windows Movie Maker will not allow the saving of a file as an MPEG-2 file. As such, the only way you will be able to play a Windows Movie Maker file (the movie clip) will be on the computer and NOT on a set-box DVD player. Bummer.

Windows Movie Maker is used by a lot of people to get the file ready for ultimate conversion over to an MPEG2 file. That is, Widows Movie Maker can be used for editing a video, inserting additional video material, etc. but, when it is time to convert the finished product to an MPEG2 format, the file must be imported over using software that will make the conversion and save the file as an MPEG2 file.

Hope this info helps.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 17:52, DerekMerdinyan wrote:

the two DIFFERENT videos I downloaded were the same (for some bizzare reason). Also, both videos cut out about half way through the trick and stop playing.

Any Ideas?

You might need to reupload your videos. The first thing to do is check your originals and make sure they play correctly all the way through before you upload them to putfile. Garbage in, garbage out. If they're okay, then reupload them and test your putfile link.

I noticed that the wmv file at your link is 1,704 KB. Was that the size of the file before you uploaded it? If not, and your originals are working ok, then your upload was probably interrupted during the transfer. Reupload and see what happens. BTW, the putfile upload takes a long time, so be patient and don't close the browser window until the "transfer complete" message appears.

If your originals aren't working to begin with, run the "save movie" wizard again and create a new wmv file.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Video Conversion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL