The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Stud cards from Walgreens... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Wow, that first line there really made me laugh good... I would go in on some custom decks if I had work and the money. I have toyed with the idea of having decks made up in the past. I just cant afford it.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
You and me both Corey!

I am currently getting a quote from the USPCC, but I don't think I will be smiling when it comes through Smile

No harm in finding out costs, even though I deffinatly couldn't do this on my own.
Maybe a large magic compnay will hear our crys.

I would like to point out that these were also the cards favoured by mr Guy Hollingworth. Infact it was after chatting to Guy that I decided to try them Smile lucky I bumped into him.

I have one deck that I am using and then just one deck left that I do and don't want to open :@(

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If we could get gaffs and force decks, etc. I'd sign up. David Eldridge was the first to shout it out about Stud cards on his Gambling video.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
For those that care about such things...

Every time I see Alan Ackerman at a local (Las Vegas) magic meeting, he is doing his thing with "STUD" cards....a bit of trivia.

For what it's worth,
Ted L
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
The new studs only come with 2 jokers now as well instead of 3..It really sucks
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Hummm, 2 jokers instead of 3, tha is also a shame!

Does anyone know of any other magicians that favoured Studs...or were at some point seen using them?

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of seraph127
When you guys say "thin", how do they compare to Aviators?
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I recently picked up a deck of the new designed Studs. Jumbo Index was all they had at the time. I found that I had 2 Ace of diamonds and was missing the 6-9 of spades after, about a week of playing around with them. Smile I haven't got around to sending them back...I'll probably just buy another deck. I like them so far but I can't really tell if they are thicker than the older style. They feel the same...THIN! They fan really nice though. I still prefer Tally Ho and Bicycle. I haven't used Aviators since the '70s & '80s.

<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Erik J
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of Erik J
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 10:31, Steve Dela wrote:
Hummm, 2 jokers instead of 3, tha is also a shame!

Does anyone know of any other magicians that favoured Studs...or were at some point seen using them?

Steve Dela

http://www.nls.physics.ucsb.edu/%7enathanb/cards/st.html

There it says Bill Goodwin used them Smile
I also know that Alan Ackerman uses them every now and then.
This signature is approved by Erik.
sportshooter
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA USA
161 Posts

Profile of sportshooter
After reading this post, I went by Walgreens to pick up some. I bought a deck of each. They were 2 for $3. The bright red (old) box stated "with two jokers" But when I opened it it had three. The burgundy (new)were the color of the Holiday Bikes, it had only 2 jokers. All in all I really couldn't tell the diffrence between the two stocks. They felt nice in my hands, especially for $1.50. They only had a few of the standard poker most were jumbo index. BTW, which one of you beat me there and opened some of the decks? Looked like someone was opening and comparing the old vs. new.

On a side note. They also had Bikes in a four pack for $9.99. It contained two red and two black decks. They looked like the Tactical Decks.
"Don't trouble 'bout no two hen's, Boss. Get yo' own hen'. De suckah, he'll get a han' all right, suah!"
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
The black decks are the tacticals. They are the same blackdecks that magicbox.uk.com has. They are just the standard bike stocks.
sportshooter
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA USA
161 Posts

Profile of sportshooter
Quote:
On 2005-11-16 12:11, Corey Harris wrote:
The black decks are the tacticals. They are the same blackdecks that magicbox.uk.com has. They are just the standard bike stocks.

Actually the Tacticals have bugundy faces so the can be seen with red lens flash lights and the stock is heavier. See below:

http://www.nls.physics.ucsb.edu/~nathanb/cards/gn_qh.jpg

As opposed to mormal red faces:
http://www.nls.physics.ucsb.edu/~nathanb/cards/bk_qh.jpg

This is what the box reads:
They are more durable to withstand extreme conditions. - Red lens playable. - Suitable for Sea, Air, Land, Airborne, Air Assault, and Mechanized game play. - Perfect to be added to your pre-deployment inspection checklist. - Exclusively produced for the American Service Members.
"Don't trouble 'bout no two hen's, Boss. Get yo' own hen'. De suckah, he'll get a han' all right, suah!"
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1612 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
It is lucky me to have a red and blue old Stud in my collection. It has been severl years since I bought them with the help from one of the Café members.

Anyway, I know that the thickness will change how a card man choose the cards he use. However, Studs simply gave me the elegant impression when doing a card trick.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Quote:
On 2005-11-16 13:14, sportshooter wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-11-16 12:11, Corey Harris wrote:

Actually the Tacticals have bugundy faces so the can be seen with red lens flash lights and the stock is heavier. See below:

http://www.nls.physics.ucsb.edu/~nathanb/cards/gn_qh.jpg

As opposed to mormal red faces:
http://www.nls.physics.ucsb.edu/~nathanb/cards/bk_qh.jpg

This is what the box reads:
They are more durable to withstand extreme conditions. - Red lens playable. - Suitable for Sea, Air, Land, Airborne, Air Assault, and Mechanized game play. - Perfect to be added to your pre-deployment inspection checklist. - Exclusively produced for the American Service Members.

I was commenting on the black backed decks at walgreens being the same issue of the ones at magicbox.uk.com. I am pretty much an exclusive user of tactical field decks from bicycle so I know that they have the blood red pips and colors to them.
sportshooter
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA USA
161 Posts

Profile of sportshooter
Corey,
Sorry, I misread. I thought you were asying the Walgreen's & Magicbox black back bikes were the same as Tactical Decks. They are of diffrent stock, boxes and inks. Thanks!
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
G*dda*nit, why did they have to change a perfectly good deck of cards?! Not only the feel did I like -- I very much liked that bright blue color. Bikes' blue is too bland /muted. And now so are my beloved Studs! :-/
Grrr.
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
After all this talk, I decided to pick a deck of studs myself. I snagged the last pinochle deck they had at my corner Walgreens (with the old style bright red backs and box). Even these seem thicker than my Bikes, but I do like their feel. The strange thing is the deck also included 7 completely blank playing cards (both backs and faces). Is this standard for Stud pinochle decks or a freak incident? The blank cards will come in handy for some packet tricks I have in mind.
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
200 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Just picked up some new studs from Buffalo and as far as thickness goes, they are the same if not slightly thinner than the old studs. The dark blue pack had three jokers and the Dark red pack had two jokers. I havn't opened any more of them but maybe consistancey is an issue. The older cards had different thicknesses as well. Regardless, I like the look and feel of the new ones very much, but I do miss the bright blue ones I first saw on the Hollingworth vids.

Cheers,
B.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
It is starting to sound like there is deffenatley a consistancy issue with these new stud cards. As for the blank cards in the pinochle deck. This is common with all pinochle decks.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Corey, where do you get your supply of tactical field Bikes? I have two decks that my nephew sent me. I thought they were only available at the Post Exchange(PX) on military bases?
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Stud cards from Walgreens... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL