The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Possible a new assistant ? ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I'm doing a single illusion for school(part of a charity drive) and have asked many (beautiful) girls at my school. After a lot of asking, a outgoing girl said she would do the trick with me! At first I was skeptical because she and I usually don't hang out a lot but she came today asking what she needs to do. I'm training her how to to the tip truck 20 minutes before I actually need to perform the illusion. If she does well I'm debating if I should ask her If she wanted to be my fulltime assistant. Whats your answer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Bottom line, get a girl with theatre and dance experience. She will make you look so darn good, guaranteed.
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I'm 14 she's 14 we are in the eighth grade! She likes the mall and is cute, I like magic and snore in bed! Wait a couple years!
theater rental - $500
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Go for it Lee!
What illusion are you using??
Daniel Faith
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
My huge tip-over trunk for a Lion to girl. The lion is the smallest in the world.!! LoL
theater rental - $500
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Ha ha ha- magicleland had me laughing. Wow... anywho-

Full time assistant, eh? Hopefully you have some steady gigs to consider a 'full time' thing. Not just an every so often flinger mer bobber. Girls don't like one time flings. Well... anyway. I'm guessing you're still young? Take some years off- go solo. Enjoy the single life- while you can!

Eddiekap brings up a good point. You don't want an assistant who's just gonna stand there and take stuff off stage for you. You need someone who will be engaged in the act/routine. Someone with yes, a dance background and a firm foot in theatre.

Also- if she's your full time assistant; she's gonna take some of your money! Gotta consider that too. Unless you're married- then that's just different, but being that you're in school still; unless you have that kind of family- marriage I'm sure will come a few years down the road for you.

Best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
Tomasko, Did I forget to tell you she's cute!
theater rental - $500
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Go to the "assistants" area of the forum. There are several threads there about the perils of dating/marrying your assistant. Some can do it (The Blackstones, The Bundys, etc), and some can't (Ayala for example).
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
You forgot to mention---> TomaskoMagic with the Blackstones, The Bundys...

geesh... every hear of giving credit where credit is due???? *sobs*

But I will have to check out that forum. I'm sure I'd get a few chuckles from there. Magicleland- what would you do if you had a (to be politically correct and forum appropriate) unattractive- not up to par on looks- magical assistant?? One would hope that the person in the spotlight with you would look relatively 'decent.'

As always: Best Regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /

Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
While cute is certainly a desirable trait in an assistant, it must be lower on the list of qualifications. If she is adorable but walks like a stick, is clumsy, has no sense of timing, or is in any way awkward, she will be more of a liability than an asset.

Remember, your audience comes first.... even to your libido.
Jared Sherlock
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
245 Posts

Profile of Jared Sherlock
Ha what a great thread. However Forever Plaid put it very well. Especially as you go into highschool, there are always groups of dancers that are very talented and would love to participate.

-Jared
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Ha- oh wow. This is getting funnier. I don't know why I'm laughing at everything tonight or finding amusement in this post more than others. But alas...

Forever Plaid- you gave me this mental image of some thin (sticklike assistant) tripping all over the place. Very entertaining mental image there. And I'm going to act like I'm in middle school again and go out on a limb and say this,

"Tee hee you said libido!"

Yeah, if you're still in high school: the freshmen girls 'dig' the magic guy. Just tell them you're a senior and you bought your car with your magical skill earnings. They'll be all over you. You'll see girls fighting over who gets to be in the sub trunk with you and everything. I'd even go as far to say that you'll have girls fighting over who gets to strap you into the straightjacket- ya know how it has that one strap at the bottom? Yup- I can see the wheels in you're head turning now. Geesh. Cat fights galore. Speaking of cat fights- our high school had some awesome ones!

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™

MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I agree, enjoy the single life while you can.
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I would say DON'T DO IT!!!

If she finds someone with a Zig Zag or an Interlude, she's likely to move on and then you will end up paying alimony and child support in the end. Who wants to only visit with their Tip Over every other weekend???
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Why in the world are you training her twenty minutes before you do the illusion? Have you considered what she's going to wear and how it may behave while she's in the trunk? Or how she and the world's smallest lion are going to interact? Or what she's going to when she comes out?

My suggestion is to get a video camera and rehearse this thing 'way before the show and study the tapes.

Good luck!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
George Ledo- she's going to fall out of the trunk, trip, then stand up and wave her hands in the air and exclaim, "tah dah!" Meanwhile Mushu the lion is going to find freedom.

Maybe he's going to also have the new assistant perform a costume change while in the trunk too. Or maybe that's just overkill and too much.

With all seriousness- I wouldn't rush into going bonkers and buying all these illusions; just for ONE show. The glory only lasts until the credit slip with a: - symbol before the 'total ammount due'- arrives at the end of the month.

You could always do what I believe Denny Haney did. He placed an ad in the classified section. Ha- low and behold; someone answered. Bibity bobbity boo; a touring show was born. At least I think it was Denny. Someone told me this. Can't recall if it was him or another person that told me. Alas I'm sure it's happened once before.

Best always,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™

magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
None of the last three post made any sense! For goodness sakes, I've trained a audience member 2 minutes before the show many times.
theater rental - $500
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Lee if your serious about your show, take lots of time to work through a serious routine. Practice together until you guys become one. Sounds weird, but you have to know if something is going wrong or not with the illusion, also plan a way out if does. see you the 1st.
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
We practiced it today in my studio and went very well. She was skeptical at first but I convinced her that I would not hurt her. She now is in love with my props and loves magic. I think she will do well on the day. I'll let you know how it went.
theater rental - $500
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
AHHH, THE FORCE IS STRONG IN YOU MY SON.
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Possible a new assistant ? ! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL