The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A quick little anecdote on exposure... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
I was in my local magic store looking for a better zombie gimmick, and the store owner pulls one off the shelf to show me. Me and another customer who just happened to idle up watch as he inserts the gimmick, and puts the cloth over the ball. Me and the customer both clearly see the man attach the gimmick. We both know exactly what's going on.

And yet, as soon as the gimmick is covered, the ball is floating. Really and truly floating. My eyes are telling me: That's impossible, how can that silver ball float like that? While my brain says: Dummy, you just SAW how it's done! And my eyes promptly reply: Wow! I wonder how he gets that ball to float like that?!

My eyes won't listen to my brain.

It was so bizarre to see an illusion that was still so convincing even with the secret right there in front. Me and the customer looked at each other and laughed because it was so amazing.

I wonder if perhaps "exposure" is more damaging to self-working tricks and gadgets and less so to magic that requires skill?
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Just wait till you see a full routine and the possibilities with the Zombie ball. Very clever- CLASSIC piece of magic at it's best. Did he do a full routine for you? Once you're in magic for a long time- you come to repect magic as a whole. Carefree of the methods; because you know most of them. And it's still just as entertaining; if not more entertaining then. Because the concepts are so very simplex that you're amazed at everyone else being amazed at such a simple piece of magic. Or you have the knowledge that is required to 'figure it out.'

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Pretty amazing. I know that if some people knew how we do some of our tricks, they would find that more amazing than the wonder and mystery of the trick itself! But, that's SOME of them, not necessarily all of them! But still, I never expose a secret.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Hammiesink has a valued point, but I do think it's special to some effects cause most effects loose it's mystical touch if you see the workings before you see it performed.
As mentioned a solid Zombie routine looks just as good even if you know how it's done, but that is all in the presentation.
On a Finn Jon lecture I saw him strap up and perform this routine, he performs it to the level that I was sure he was using other gimmicks than the one I knew, I actually had to ask him and make him show me again, this time I was standing from another angle, still shaking my head. Smile

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
General Grant has a wonderful gimmick, it's the one I use. I'm still playing with the idea of letting go of enough money to get a look at Losander's though. It's supposed to be entirely different.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I've been searching for General Grant's gimmick for some time now. Any idea who I should contact?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
General Grant- ahhh amazing Zombie ball routine. He's one of three performers that I just enjoy watching perform this routine.

best always,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Oh my. I saw him at SamCon. Contact Diamonds magic http://www.diamondsmagic.com The owner is Eddie Gardner. Tell him Rik sent you.
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
Quote:
On 2005-11-16 04:29, Eirik wrote:
Hammiesink has a valued point, but I do think it's special to some effects cause most effects loose it's mystical touch if you see the workings before you see it performed.
As mentioned a solid Zombie routine looks just as good even if you know how it's done, but that is all in the presentation.

I agree. If you're in a magic shop, then obviously it's a "trick". However, in "real situations" then it is much more mystical and to the spectators, magical.
MagicDan21
View Profile
New user
California
51 Posts

Profile of MagicDan21
Haha I always second guess myself when I see a trick I already know how to do.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
The worst cases of exposure usually come from magicians who perform before they are ready. This accounts for far more exposure to the public on the methods than all the television exposure shows and books made for public consumption all added together.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
"Magicians guard an empty safe"

Isn't it the truth Smile
Magicman101... if only they knew hahahaha.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A quick little anecdote on exposure... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL