The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic should be "fun" (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
A very wise man mentioned this to me yesterday and I have to say, I agree. Smile

What you think, huh? Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is fun but I don't know if it should be. I don't like performing because of the repetition of saying and doing the same things all the time, so I don't and just have fun with it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
It should be fun or serious, enthralling or flip. It should enlighten, entertain and engage while playing on multiple levels that each have no meaning. It should make you laugh or make you cry. Encourage one to travel to new heights or make one's joy plummet to the lowest of lows.
It should make your heart soar and your soul sing while bringing a tear to ones eye. Magic is all and nothing, everything and absence.
But most important of all it is what you and you alone make of it.
There is no right way to perform magic but a thousand, thousand ways to perform it wrong.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2878 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Laurie, was he talking about watching it, performing it, or both?

Payne, that's very well said, and could probably be applied to any form of art.

This reminds me of a run-in I had with Howard Bamman, the late editor of The Linking Ring, many years ago when I was a high-strung teenager. I took him to task for writing something about magic being fun -- I was taking magic very seriously at the time, practicing, performing, working up to go full-time pro, and felt that his use of the word "fun" implied that it was all just a pastime.

His response (in the mag) was very interesting and to-the-point. He said that he hadn't intended to mean "fun and games," but that if someone doesn't enjoy what he or she is doing, be it a magician, a doctor, or a ditch-digger, they shouldn't be doing it.

And he was absolutely right. We don't always have the luxury of a choice, but he was still right.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Well, I don't want to speak for him, but we were discussing performance at the time. I really don't think either one of us would be opposed to the audience having a good time as well. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The introduction to Magical Adventures and Fairy Tales AKA Once Upon a Time is called "When the Fairy Tale encountered Truth." It goes into a lot of what magic can do.

So does "The Ring of Sheherazade" in Sheherazade.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Payne...that is one of the best description/definitions I have ever seen for the word entertainment! Bravo!!!

Mike
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
What do you think, Mike? Do you think magic should be fun, huh? Smile
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Yes, I do...but more importantly...it should be fun to do!

Mike
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I think so, too. I agree. Smile
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I think it is fun too. Would we really be doing it if it wasn’t?

We shouldn’t expect anyone else to enjoy it unless we do. In the end, I think it should be fun for all involved, even those wiping the tears.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Would that it were so, Tom. There are people in the biz who have become totally bored with it. There are people who have taken up magic because they have no personality and think that the ability to make people feel like idiots will somehow make up for their character flaws. There are the dabblers who believe very strongly that what they see on a DVD from Penguin is the real work.

Sometimes all it takes to get one of these partial people to learn about entertaining with magic is for them to see someone actually do something entertaining with magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2878 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Sadly, Bill, too often they miss the point.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Bill, your right. I should had said “should” instead of “would we be doing it.”

But, even those bad magicians think it’s fun.

And the ones who think it’s boring could do much better if they started enjoying it again.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2005-11-16 23:35, George Ledo wrote:
too often they miss the point.

Precisely!

Posted: Nov 19, 2005 9:19pm
--------------------------------------------
Quote:
I always have a great time performing magic. That's why I do it. I love it. It's fun. Smile Not to say it isn't difficult or technically or artistically challenging- it's those things too. And I like that about it as well. But, fundamentally, I do it because it's entertaining- for me and for my audience. And I plan to keep it that way. Smile

Posted: Nov 20, 2005 9:25am
--------------------------------------------
Someone fixed that for me. Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It should be enjoyable for all involved.
Whether it is a gambling demo, comedy, mentalism or geek act you have to make it an enjoyable and memorable experience. Not necessary "fun" as in big grins and laughter.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Look at it this way: if it is not fun, they why would one want to do it, or go see someone perform it.

BTW, in this context "fun" can be thought of as many adjectives (enthralling, mystifying, slapstick, and so on....)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Hostile18
View Profile
Loyal user
London
231 Posts

Profile of Hostile18
If we're going to define fun as basically any kind of pleasurable experience then the question becomes 'should/would you do magic if it was unpleasant to do so.' And this seems like a rather pointless question unless there are times when magic just 'needs' to be performed.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
Many do things they have no fun doing and do a good job. They give a great deal of enjoyment to people. Singers might get sick and tired of singing the same old song but that song might be what the people want them to sing and so they do, and sing it great. Apart from money why do they? Well one reason is they want to please their public. In other words they put their public first before themselves. Whose fun should come first, yours or theirs?

When choosing an effect do you select one you like doing or one they like seeing you do?

This is why I am not sure it should be fun or fun should dictate what you do.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Hostile18
View Profile
Loyal user
London
231 Posts

Profile of Hostile18
Fair point, but if you hated singing and just happened to have a wonderful voice you probably wouldn't become a singer in the first place. If you do a job that involves entertaining people and ensuring they have a good time then you'll probably be better at it if you like what you're doing, as your enthusiasm will be apparent.

I agree that when it comes to specific gigs or effects you should put your audience's enjoyment above your own. However I maintain that someone who performs purely for the money, or because they're just so skilled they feel they have an obligation, is probably not going to be very entertaining.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic should be "fun" (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL