The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Shattered glass and restored (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rmwilson
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of rmwilson
I often try and have items in my show that is just not naturally acceptable by everyday life .. impossibilities if you will ..
I currently do a torn and restored
news paper
a walking knot
a hydrostatic glass

And I want to come up with an effect where a glass (bottle or wine glass or something) shatters then restores...VISUALLY ... the other items mentioned above are very visual impossibilities not hidden by any cover, and simply unexplainable to an average person because, its seen as so day to day that no one else can do this other than a magician.

Any thoughts on routines ideas or method suggestions for a shattered and un-shattered (restored) glass would be a great help .

Ryan
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You may recall in "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling, Kim is being taught about the power of hypnosis by his trainer. A plate or cup is shattered on the floor, and Kim is hypnotized to see the broken pieces coming together. The first movie version of Kim shows this scene nicely and sets the stage for this effect.

Throw a plate on the floor and it smashes. Hypnotize the audience into imagining that they can see the pieces come together (they actually can, because the pieces begin to crawl towards one another). Bend over and pick up the plate and snap them out of the hypnotic stage so they can see that they only imagined the plate was broken to begin with. They can now handle and feel that the plate was never broken to begin with.

Hint: It's done with melamine, not china as they suppose.
Prof. Alexander
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Prof. Alexander
Hi Ryan
I also like this approach. I like to use (as much as I can) objects in my magic that appear to be everyday.
A couple of my favorites: blowing up a large balloon and then bursting it – a genuine full bottle of champagne appears in your hand. I often use this as an opener, or if I am doing a one off at a party – completely floors people!
My other favorites: bottle through a person stomach. I usually build up to this by doing rope through ring followed by scarf through arm all impromptu tricks (well, I always carry a bit of rope with me – if I am asked for more I do a full routine based mostly on tabary rope routine – very entertaining (I use lots of jokes) and completely baffling) I get the audience very involved with these. When it comes to passing the bottle through (a young attractive woman, usually) people actually scream when you do it.

How you would smash and reconstitute a plate? – Have a look at the use of topits by Sylvester the Jester. I think this could be a very affective and straightforward approach.
Hope this has been a bit of help - all the best,
Prof. Alex
I met this chap at the Olympics. I said to him, "Excuse me but are you a pole vaulter?" he replied "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Shattered glass and restored (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL