The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Silver wood (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Can anyone suggest the best (while inexpensive) way to paint wood so it looks like metal?

I want to make some "arrows" to put through a box contianing someone's head, and I don't feel like paying top dollar for real ones when I can buy some cheap dowels and feathers. Only the tip needs to look metal.

Thanks,
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
578 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Foil Contact Paper.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Sand smooth, gray primer sealer coat, silver spray paint.
Arfe there specific arrows you are trying to make these look lke? most target arrows have only a small tip, and oddly mine are all a black anodized metal. no silver on them!
I think target archery arrows cost about $2-3 each, in aluminum shaft, target tips, and nice bright fletching. the old wooden arrows are still out there for about a buck99.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
First paint the piece you want metal looking flat black with spray paint...

Next :

Go to the automotive store and get some chrome spray paint, its highly reflective, much more so than regular silver spray paint. Paint that over the piece you already primed in black, it will look very metal when your done.

I have used this method many times, and it works better than anything else I have tried. Many decorative carved wood pieces I got at home depot look awesome (and very metal) after this treatment...

Steven
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Haywire,

I've never used the chrome paint. I assume it's thicker than normal silver paint, does it have a chipping problem. Or do you get a problem with things getting too fat?

Thanks,
Dave
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I just spray on a couple of light coats, and I've never had any problems so far with chipping, peeling or fading. I highly reccomend it if you want a shiny silver metal appearing finish...

Steven
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Use aluminum tape or use a metallic base paint found in craft or art supply stores. Since it's only the tip it won't be that noticeable.
POOF!
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I will second kregg's suggestion of using the tape.

I've used it on many occations and it's always worked great.

Metalic Silver spray paint also did the job quite well...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Silver wood (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL