The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A pen vanish? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
The first trick I ever saw was the pencil and coin double vanish -

When I finally worked out how simply it was done, I was surprised... but hey, that's misdirection for you!

I like to include it somewhere in my routine (sentimental value mostly... but it's a nice simple effect), and I often bring the coin back using a purse-bring... and then pull out a sponge ball as well and go into sponges that way...

But for a different sort of finish, I wouldn't mind making the pen disappear again, but this time, forever.

Does anyone know of a technique for vanishing a pen? Bearing in mind that it is summer in Australia and I won't be wearing long sleeves or a jacket!! Are there gimmicked pens on the market that I could use (I'm thinking something like 'the vanishing bottle' gag?

Any thoughts?
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi Craig!

The first thing that comes to mind is the use of a pull!

I did see your comment regarding the summer heat, and I think the pull is still appropriate!

Please e-mail me for further info. if interested!
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Greg Wilson has a nice routine on his "Off The Cuff" video where a pen vanishes several times. He plays it for comedy, actually showing where the pen is. I can't remember if he vanishes the pen permanently at the end, but you could use his "all around vanish" to vanish the cap. That may be what he does too.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
I've read some of Greg Wilson's stuff... but I might need to invest in the video - I've had it recommended several times now...

I'll check it out...

If I can somehow rig a pull to work with my pants... or even my armpit(!) then I'll be set. It's not exactly the easy and impromptu vanish I was hoping for, but I have an idea at least.

Thanks guys...
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
It's deja vu, all over again!

Didn't I just read this in another section?

Never mind.

If you want a clean pen vanish, check out Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book.

His vanish of an ungimmicked pen (and the note that it wrote) is a classic study in misdirection.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
174 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
If my memory servers correctly, Steve Fearson at one time also marketed a pen that could be crushed, but a quick look at his web site didn't reveal anything. You could do something along the lines of the vanishing magic wand as found in the Tarbell series, but need to figure out how to make the "vanishing" pens.

Doug A.
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
Peter, maybe you read something about pens in a section I can't access yet (as a new user?)

I searched anyway but thank you to everyone. I'll go and see my dealer and have another chat with him - I've got a couple of ideas anyway!

Thanks!
clunk_71
View Profile
New user
Burton-on-Trent England
99 Posts

Profile of clunk_71
you could check out Jay Sankeys site, he is marketing an idea where after you have used a sharpie, you can visualy squish the hole pen inside of the cap, at: http://www.jaysankey.com

leepalmer@orange.net
Best regards, Lee
leepalmer@orange.net

Only do what your good at....and then everything you do looks good
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Craig, you're right; it's in the Triple Dare section at the bottom of this site/page/whatever (I'm a computer illiterate, remember?)

In any case, the posts are very similar to the ones replying to you.

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would want to load up with another gimmick when the same thing can be done by sleight of hand -- and EASY sleight of hand, at that!

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
Hi Peter...

I guess I was interested in the kinds of gimmicks available so i thought that i'd throw it out there...

and you're right, there are lots of sleights that can be used, and easy sleigts at that. I was originally looking for a different ending to the 'pencil and coin double vanish' - but i think after what i've learnt in the last couple of days there is a whole routine here of repeatedly using a pen to vanish small objects...coins...the cap...or even vanish the pen itself!

There's a neat sleight using a pen and some blu-tack....but its quite 'angle-ey'...

But anyway, i ended up going down Steve's train of thought and am using a pull. With some clever handling you can even make the pen explode into glitter as a finale...

Thanks heaps for your thoughts.

C.
Magic1
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
392 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Check out Jesse Feinberg's stuff (jessemagic.com I believe) He is selling some amazing gimmicked pens right now!
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Stone's coin magic uses a pen (both videos) and he vanishes it permanently. I'm pretty sure you can do the same without a Jacket. Check them out, they have other great stuff on them as well.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
I've seen this really simple vanish where you rotate the pen back with your fingers while moving your hands. Not sure where it comes from though.
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Try Charlie Frye's Eccentricks nail file vanish.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1768 Posts

Profile of wally
Wish I could find some nail files gags like charlie fryes
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
The first thing that I thought of was the Fl!p-stick vanish. It's meant for things about the size and shape of a pen (straws, small wands, sticks, etc.) It's a sleight so it'll take some practice, but...
Mezzini
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Mezzini
Hmm, this post is only about 5 years old. I'm sure he's found a pen vanish by now...
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Whoa! You're right! I saw the dates on the later posts, but I didn't bother to look at the date on the original post. Okay...that's very different...nevermind. (Talk about old.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A pen vanish? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL