The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I've Been Wasting My Money On Magic Props... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magi:

I did a "show" on Wednesday night for a library that needed someone to play the part of the "Wizard" for their story time. The librarian had a pitcher of water and some clear tumblers rigged with food colouring...at the appropriate moment, I was to make the water "change" colour.

The kids went WILD when the water changed to red, blue, or yellow...I mean they went absolutely BONKERS!!!! I'm dead serious...their reaction was just OVER THE TOP! Yes, I was hamming it up and having a good time with the bit, but come on! I might as well have just vanished an elephant or something!

I'm seriously considering changing the entire act to one bit: "Leland And The Amazing Technicolour Water Jar."
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I have used this effect to great use too. I find I am sometimes embarrassed at how simple it is. You can link the trick with colour changing silks to match the colours in the cups.
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
I used the same thing in a Safety show years ago. Same reaction too. Made me wonder why I spent so much money on other props. I got over it and have a house and a storage locker full of stuff to prove it Smile

Joe H
krantis
View Profile
Regular user
AUSTRALIA
106 Posts

Profile of krantis
You can never hae enough props - that's why you are booked- you are the guy with the props!!! Get it?????????????????????????????????????
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
I don't get it
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
PROFED
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago,Illinois
229 Posts

Profile of PROFED
I combined this effect with the Boston Tea Party effect I constructed with a large tea kettle. I told the story of a famous Chinese Magician. I would poor the liquid into clear plastic cups which would change color, then I would pull the matching colored silk out of the kettle. For the climax all of the liquid would be returned to the kettle and a 36" dragon silk wold be produced.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
It reminds me of a child playing with an empty box for hours, and having a good time.

Bob
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have done this with the "Tea Kettle" prop and I've used a similar effect called "Chameleon Drinks" in a safety show with great success.

It's all about presentation. The simplest effect can be magical if you make it magical. Kids have such a sense of wonder that anything can seem magical to them if it is presented as such. (And if it is presented well) That's one reason why I love performing for kids so much. They still believe in their hearts.

Regan
Mister Mystery
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
So how exactly did you do the trick? Did the cups already have the food coloring in them?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
John,

You may want to PM leland for that info and details as we are not alowed to discuss secrets of effcts openly in this part of the forum. I think you undersand. =)

Any ways, it goes to prove once more that it really is not how hardn the trick is or how technically difficult it is, that the kids enjoy the most. Sometimes an easy effect to perform can have the most lasting impression in a child's mind.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dave Campbell
View Profile
New user
Naperville, IL
51 Posts

Profile of Dave Campbell
I just used this today at my daughter's fifth birthday party and the 19 kids in attendance (age 5-8) absolutely loved it!

As I told Leland in a PM, seeing your five year old daughter beaming like that is priceless!

Thanks for sharing Leland!
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Leland,
Would you mind sharing the age of the children?
Thanks.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
I have never wasted money on buying props......I love them and the more I fill the performong area with colourful props the better the kids seem to like it ....and comedy props are of course essential to my style. Of course you do not have to have many props and can perform just as well without them.....but for a childrens show I think they are a must! and if people do not buy props then I don't eat !!! Smile
Derek
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
Jizmagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Jizmagic
In this month's Magic Symbol newsletter (November 2005) Maria Ibanez describes a fantastic routine with food coloring and glasses - using a Niffen tube (or possibly a Viking Cocktail Shaker), you end up with a killer ending!
May the magic be with you!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2410 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Back to the original effect: THIS is why "magicians never tell the secret." You can practice fancy sleights for years and still wow them with something this simple (and get credit for being a great magician either way.)
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2005-11-18 22:56, krantis wrote:
You can never have enough props - that's why you are booked- you are the guy with the props!!! Get it?????????????????????????????????????

Firstly, you are booked because you are the guy that can entertain the children, as long as you can do that prop size and quantity is fairly irrelevent.

Secondly, Leland didn't say he'd been wasting his money on props but on "magic props". I'm thinking this was probably a little tongue in cheap but the point is there are a lot of props out there that can be used to great success that were in no way designed for a kid's magic show. Which is why you'll find many a kid's entertainers prop-shopping in toy stores, hardware stores, art stores, educational resources, sports shops, pound/dollar stores, supermarkets, craft shops.........

George
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
I ALSO HAVE THE TEA KETTLE "PROP" AND MY WIFE ASKED ME A FEW WEEKS AGO HOW COME I DON'T PERFORM IT ANYMORE. MAYBE I SHOULD GET THIS ONE BACK OUT OF THE CLOSET...
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magi:

George: Yep, the title of the post is definitely tongue-in-cheek. For the record, I love Magic props and can't get enough of 'em. But seeing those kids go bonkers over such a non-Magic "trick" has got me re-thinking my Magic. No, I'm not tossing any props just yet, but rethinking and tweaking ideas...that's a good thing!

Parson: Let's see, there were around 75 kids, and mostly in the 4-11 year age range I'd say.

How the heck do you encore something like this? I'm thinking about a wild new transformation effect: "Cold Solid Block To Cold Liquid." Not sure they'll sit still for 3-4 hours watching this one, though Smile
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:

How the heck do you encore something like this? I'm thinking about a wild new transformation effect: "Cold Solid Block To Cold Liquid." Not sure they'll sit still for 3-4 hours watching this one, though Smile

The magically drying paint?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
A CHIA PET! They'll watch for hours as miraculously little plants grow on a pot shaped like ...heck...anything!
CHI-CHI-CHI-CHIA!

I may dig out my tea kettle for this one....but perhaps one could do a lota bowl double whammy effect with this?
Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I've Been Wasting My Money On Magic Props... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL