The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New To Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
I've been working with cards and various 'impromptu' effects for the last few years. I've been thinking of learning a few mentalism effects, just to broaden my horizons, so to speak.

I am not a proffesional, this is just for fun and entertainment when I'm out and about. But can anyone provide me some information on a good place to pick up a few effects. I'm looking for something that is not heavy on props or set up. So far I did read a couple from The Amatuer Magiciain's Handbook. And the Center Tear, which I have not yet tried, as I am mostly standing when I do my effects

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

thanks
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Richard Osterlinds B.C.S. card system would fit your style. Plug it into the search engine.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
May I suggest any (or all) of the following:

Books:
Practical Mental Effects by Annemann
13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda
Mind, Myth & Magick by Waters
Psychological Subtleties by Banachek

DVDs:
Anything by Richard Osterlind
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Shawn,

If you sounded a little more into the study of a broad range of mentalism techniques, I'd probably recommend Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism. That book has a huge number of principles and effects. But it really does sound like you're more interested in just dipping your toe in the Mentalism pool.

In that case, I would recommend the Richard Osterlind "Easy to Master Mental Miracles" DVDs. Mr. Osterlind is a fine and enthusiastic teacher -- perhaps the best teacher of mentalism out there -- and the effects on that series sound right up your alley. (Don't be fooled by the "Easy to Master..." imprimatur, these are solid, well-established effects, most of them by masters of the field. It's just that the technical chops required are minimal; the presentational skills required, though, are certainly no less than would be required for any polished performance.)

You might also want to investigate the Mind Mysteries and Mind Mysteries Too series, also by Mr. Osterlind...or the Breakthrough Card System, which is available either in .PDF form at http://www.osterlindmysteries.com, or on the second volume of the Mind Mysteries series. You can do some truly phenomenal effects with the BCS and it is not difficult to learn at all.

==Josh
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Oh, and one other thought: you might pick up Harry Lorayne's "The Memory Book" or any of his Memory books (they all cover the same material, really), and learn a memory system. It takes a minimal amount of time to learn this system (we're talking an hour or two to learn the basic system), and, with it, a huge range of effects and demonstrations of memory and mind power become available to you. (Osterlind uses it for several of his effects.)

Not only that, but you will find that the system has a huge number of real-world applications as well, especially if you're a student. It's a tremendously empowering system and blows people away.

You can find The Memory Book used for a dollar or two. Spend an afternoon learning the link-and-peg system, and it'll be the best investment you could make for under $5.

--Josh
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
Josho
You're right. I'm just looking to learn a few things, at least for right now. Just to see if it appeals to me, but also to break up all the card effects that I know. lol.

I do know a few 'impromptu' effects. Truthfully my fear of performing pretty much overcomes me most of the time and I don't do anything unless asked or unless someone shows interest in some manner, but... I thought something from the mentalism pool would be a nice change for everyone that has already seen all my other effects.

I don't worry too much about the hard work that needs to be put into the effect, I'm just looking for some things that don't involve slates. There was a nice Classified Add prediction in Amature Magicican's Handbook that seems right up my ally, but I'm not even sure how to practice a mentalism effect. The Center Tear seems like a standard sleight that I should learn anyway. But because the flow of mentalism effects seem so different from what I already practice, I'm not even sure how to begin. lol

Thanks for the help and the info
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I agree with Josh.
I would also point you to Osterlind's Trilogy. These can be found in pdf format on his website.
These ideas will help you no matter what kind of magic/mentalism you settle into.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Shawn,

And I agree with Parson! Osterlind's Trilogy will help you immensely, especially in light of the fact that you're unsure of where to begin and how to mesh the pace and presentation of magic with the pace and presentation of mentalism.

Don't worry about slates...you could spend your whole life doing mentalism professionally and never touch one.

The Center Tear is indeed a terrific tool to have under your belt. Osterlind has one ("The Perfected Center Tear") that's great; so does Bruce Bernstein. Learning a good billet switch is also extremely useful for a lot of mentalism effects, and can often replace a center tear, depending on the routine.

--Josh
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I am new to mentalism myself, I strongly suggest Annemanns practical mental magic. There are some really nice effects in there and it teaches a lot, it has a good mix of different mentalism.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Josh,
I just spent a few days watching Bernstein do his CT.
It is a thing of beauty.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New To Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL