We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Gum magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
2 words STICKY SITUATION its such a great effect you can get it at elmwoodmagic.com and also wach a video demo
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
One of the Bill Severn books, "Magic Across the Table", contains a small section on magic with Gum. Just looking at it now, there are a few pretty good ones.
Mike Lowry
View Profile
New user
Canada
79 Posts

Profile of Mike Lowry
I saw an episode of the Virtual magician where he featured a bunch of magicians from New York. This one guy did a trick where he chewed a couple pieces of gum and stuck them to the bottom of his shoes. He then would lean forward at people and cars passing by like they do in the Michael Jackson "Smooth criminal" Video. I'm not sure how it's done or what the magician's name was but it's a cool idea for Gum magic.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Mike - do a search here for "the lean"
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Sticky Situation

Always a surprise. Screams Impromptu.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13740 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I am a little frustrated...I love sticky situation, and did a review here about it...but the problem is the way the gum manufactureres have changed their packaging..at the end of the effect I like to switch the gimmicked stick for a real wrapped piece in my pocket...so I can hand it out.

Anyway, you USED to be able to get a gum in individual sticks (six to a pack )with the foil wrapper AND the outside paper wrapper. But lately, I have been batting ZERO in finding these sticks! Every brand I buy has gum that has the FOIL wraper, but they no longer bother to cover the foil with the paper wrapper. At least, I haven't been able to find it!
Am I just looking in the wrong places, or has anyone else been able to find the gum sticks with the paper wrapper as of late?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13740 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Eureka! Success at last! I found that if I get gum from the vending machines, it has the inner wrapper. Beats me why they don't do it otherwise, though.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
magicbar1
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magicbar1
Sticky situation is a great opening eyecatching effect for restaurants
magicbar1
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magicbar1
I should qualify by saying casual restaurants, not elegant dining rooms
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I have a quick trick that is a color changing/Flavor changing pack of gum, which can also be adapted to any color changing knives routine.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Quote:
On 2002-11-09 19:02, Ichazod wrote:
I believe Tom Mullica covers some gum effects in his Expert impromptu magic made easy series.

Smile

Anybody know where one can find that infinitely stretchy "bubble gum" that Tom Mullica has used in his act? It's not the same as the bubble gum coils that I've seen. Rather, Tom's stuff really stretches (or at least appears to stretch) to hilariously long lengths.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-19 16:05, marknem7 wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-11-09 19:02, Ichazod wrote:
I believe Tom Mullica covers some gum effects in his Expert impromptu magic made easy series.

Smile

Anybody know where one can find that infinitely stretchy "bubble gum" that Tom Mullica has used in his act? It's not the same as the bubble gum coils that I've seen. Rather, Tom's stuff really stretches (or at least appears to stretch) to hilariously long lengths.

Hmm, he wouldn't happen to be using Silly Putty, by any chance?
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Pink Silly Putty can be substituted as 'Already Been Chewed' if that stimulates your grey matter at all...

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
One of my fave gum magic is Richard Sander's Sugerless Bill. A borrowed bill vanishes and then reappears inside an unopened, sealed package of gum. It floors people everytime! Smile This is not an impromptu effect as some prep is required.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I've got an old video of Homer Liwag performing a sequence with chewing gum. It starts with the "mouth retention vanish" and goes into a repeated thimble-type vanish and then closes with him stretching the gum out from his mouth and doing a "rigid rope" type effect. It's cool because of its informality.

MK
tommypockets
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of tommypockets
Tom Mullica's book Showtime at the Tomfoolerey has a great bubble gum effect, but hard to perform if you are not him. He just makes everything so personable to himself, which is actually great. I would read it and try to adapt it on my own.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Tommypockets, you're right about Mullica making everything so "Mullica." There's only one Tom! (I just feel bad for him that all his years of developing and perfecting his astonishing cigarette-eating routine have been undermined by society (rightfully) frowning on cigarettes.)

Does his book that you mentioned describe the actual material he uses for his bubble gum routine?
tommypockets
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of tommypockets
Marknem7, Showtime at Tom-Foolery has not only the actual material, but details of every move, joke, mannerism, subtlety of his entire act, not just the Gum Gozinta Balloon. If you can get your hands on a copy it is a great read to not only learn the routines but to see a master structure routines to fit himself, and his personality. I also agree about his cigarette act, Mullica has many cigarette routines that could become obsolete, and it is a real shame. That is coming from a non smoker.

Tom Fusillo
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Hocus Pocus is now selling two dvd's on gum magic.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2005-12-13 21:09, Corey Harris wrote:
I have a quick trick that is a color changing/Flavor changing pack of gum, which can also be adapted to any color changing knives routine.

Yes, and since you're not here to say it, it's published in the Linking Ring, the issue with the Ring 129 Parade. I don't remember the date off the top of my head though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Gum magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL