The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mate in one chess trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ScottJ
View Profile
Regular user
Hertfordshire, England.
143 Posts

Profile of ScottJ
Does anyone if the Mate In One Problem (Corinda's 13 Steps, p. 70) is still valid today? Have the rules been updated since the 60's when this was written to make this unworkable nowadays?

Scott.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's still valid.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
It's not valid. You may no longer promote a pawn to a piece of your opponent's color.
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
This is the wonderful thing about forums. Everyone thinks they have a worthwhile opinion and you end up with no advance on original questions/thoughts.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I'm pretty sure this rule has been updated. These guys say it would only be allowed under the "old rules". I remember reading a similar discussion elsewhere.
Hello.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
FIDE Laws of Chess section 3.7(e):

When a pawn reaches the rank furthest from its starting position it must be exchanged as part of the same move for a new queen, rook, bishop or knight of the same colour. The player`s choice is not restricted to pieces that have been captured previously. This exchange of a pawn for another piece is called `promotion` and the effect of the new piece is immediate.

Reference: http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sounds to me as if a sourse has been cited!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I don't understand this thread. I'll start by saying that I do not represent myself as being an expert on the chess rules, but the question is: why, under any set of rules, would you have ever want to/be able to change your pawn (on reaching the last row) for A NEW PIECE OF YOUR OPPONENT'S COLOR. That doesn't make sense to me.

Gianni
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
With automatic writing I've produced
340 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
You have appearantly not seen the problem in question.
You should take a look and apply you chess wit.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
It reminds me of a problem, White to Move and Mate in less than one move. In this problem every king move created a discovered check but also blocked another line, allowing the king to escape. (One example, White has rooks on g7 and h8 and king on e8...black king is on a8.)

The solution: Pick up the king and don't put it back down...the position is mate, in less than one move.

Again, not according to FIDE, but you can't believe everything you read.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Gianni you have to play chess I guess...to understand...then read the problem.... these things would help
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
My mistake.
I read Corinda's effect a while ago and either misread it or just plain forgot it was a different color.
Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Thanks Curt.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2005-11-20 17:24, EscapeMaster wrote:
This is the wonderful thing about forums. Everyone thinks they have a worthwhile opinion and you end up with no advance on original questions/thoughts.

Unless I've picked you up wrong, I think the exact opposite is true. That rather, worthwhile opinions as they are,through forums these same opinions get poked, prodded and questioned and we end up with massive advances on original questions and thoughts.

Bobser.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Apologies for being so curt.

Jaz you're a gent. Please forgive me.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1542 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Corinda's piece begins with the words "Many years ago..." and quite clearly refers to the laws of chess "at the time".

Barry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mate in one chess trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL