The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Bob Read passes away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
219 Posts

Profile of thecardman
I've just read the very sad news on the Genii Forum that Bob Read has passed away while on holiday in California.

A great performer who will be missed by those who saw him perform.

Those that didn't have the pleasure will not know what they missed.

Best wishes

Peter
:(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted on the Genii Forum by Todd Karr

Very sad to be the bearer of bad news. Bob Read died today of a heart attack while vacationing in California with his wife Pauline.

Last Tuesday, I had the pleasure of driving he and Pauline around LA, visiting John Gaughan, Max Maven, and Carl Ballantine. He had a marvelous time and was looking forward to continuing his visit in the US.

Bob was a superb performer, a master of misdirection, an achingly funny humorist, a great writer, and the world's top authority on the history of the Cups and Balls as depicted in prints and artworks.

I had the honor of collaborating with Bob on The Annals of Conjuring in 2001. His humorous essays on the mysterious magic historian Arthur Watson and magic items in The Spectator were brilliant scholarship and fine humor mixed together.

Bob had just lectured at the LA Conference on Magic History and all attendees are, I'm sure, grateful to have had a few last moments with this extraordinary man.

Love and best wishes to Pauline, his partner of three decades.
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Thanks for the Genii post.

There is a thread open about this at:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4343406
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
I also just read this on a French magic forum. Very sad. I had the pleasure to meet him when he lectured in Paris earlier this year. We chatted privately for a bit. A nice man. A great magician.

Rest in Peace.

José.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Bob Read passes away (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL