The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dr. Rhine ESP Deck?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
statenisland
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of statenisland
I've been trying to find a Dr. Rhine ESP Deck. The one with the box that shows the cicle on the back and 4 cards on the front? Can anyone help me locate them?
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
I bought some a while back. They didn't come in a box, and the card wasn't of particularly good quality. Although I do not use them on a regular basis I have looked into other ESP decks. The better quality ones, unfortunately seem to embellished with coloured symbols, which just makes them look even more like a magic prop. If I find a source I'll let you know.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
ThomasWTaylor
View Profile
New user
San Antonio
10 Posts

Profile of ThomasWTaylor
You can order them directly from the Rhine institute at http://www.rhine.org . That's where I get mine. These are the ones you see in the Maven videos.
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
I, too, have been looking for the original Rhine ESP cards in the box. I got severasl decks at Hollywood Magic, only to find when I got home that there were no boxes included.
You might try Haines House Of Cards in Norwood OH, or phone the Rhine Research Center at (919) 688-8241. Or, if you're in a big city with some psychic bookstores, try them.
Let me know what you come up with.

Gene Nielsen
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
The cards you talk about can be bought from

Kaymar Magic in London. 01708640557

Last time I got a pack they were £6. Was a few years ago now. But they are the ones you describe the original Rhine CArds.

They came with a box same as in the Maven Videos...
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
I wanted the symols on the box once and had to dummy up a box of my own. It really is not hard to do and came out looking very good.
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
I bought some from Denny & Lee not long ago, but noticed that the boxes were different tan what you see n the VideoMind tapes. They have the circle on one side, but the other side is blank.
lmrmagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of lmrmagic
Haines house of cards no longer sells boxed ESP cards. The JB Rhine ESP cards are now only sold in a poly bag. Almost all the dealers get there supply from Haines. So if you find a boxed deck. Grab them up. I was able to get a few boxed decks from Ebay. But I had to pay. Smile
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
If you can get one of the original boxes, and you'd like it to last a while, very carefully take it apart (or open it up flat).
Get some clear, maximum adhesive, laminate, then put the box back together. It will last much longer, and keeps from getting dirty.
Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
They can also be bought in the UK from Clive LeeWarden of The Card Collection.

The original ones have the box as described and the one way back star design.

Regarding AllThumbs comment:
The better quality ones, unfortunately seem to embellished with coloured symbols, which just makes them look even more like a magic prop.

I'm not sure why you draw this conclusion at all. The symbols whatever colour they are, are simply symbols for a test. In fact the colours open up further possibilites.But not with the Bicycle or Indian manufactured decks, where the different symbols are different colours. In The Piatnik deck each symbol itself comes in five different colours giving you a 25 card deck where no two cards are alike. A routine of mine using this, "Hallastack" appeared in one of my early books.

A book on the various decks available, with some routines, is "Handbook of ESP Card Mentalism" by Thomas Henry"
www:http://mall.lakes.com/~map/esp

Paul.
Mark Hogan
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Mark Hogan
Davenports in london used to sell them!!
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
You'd be able to get them here (UK company).
http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/ this is the one Paul mentioned.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Here's the direct link if you want to buy them directly from the rhine institue. not sure if these come with a box or not, but it kind of looks that way.

https://www.rhine.org/cgi-bin/os.cgi?set......53.25879
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
ThomasWTaylor
View Profile
New user
San Antonio
10 Posts

Profile of ThomasWTaylor
Quote:
On 2002-11-10 15:39, Flip wrote:
Here's the direct link if you want to buy them directly from the rhine institue. not sure if these come with a box or not, but it kind of looks that way.

https://www.rhine.org/cgi-bin/os.cgi?set......53.25879

As I said in my original post, these are the ones that come in the box you see on the videos.
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
Regarding AllThumbs comment:
The better quality ones, unfortunately seem to embellished with coloured symbols, which just makes them look even more like a magic prop.

I'm not sure why you draw this conclusion at all. The symbols whatever colour they are, are simply symbols for a test. In fact the colours open up further possibilites.But not with the Bicycle or Indian manufactured decks, where the different symbols are different colours. In The Piatnik deck each symbol itself comes in five different colours giving you a 25 card deck where no two cards are alike. A routine of mine using this, "Hallastack" appeared in one of my early books.

Paul.

I agree with Paul on this one. I have used the Piatnik coloured deck for years which still allows for a cyclic (is there such a word) stack for both shapes and colours this opens up much more opportunites.

I introduce the pack by explaining that in the 30's the original shapes were printed in black but as psychic experiments and investigation advanced during the 70's, the colours were added to make the tests more difficult as some people are better at picking up colours rather than shapes etc etc etc.

Once again it all comes down to presentaion.

Regards

Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
ahhh well, maybe its my 'protestant' view on props. Whilst I agree that it does open up further possibilities, coloured ESP cards are not for me.

Whilst I'm probably going to cause a few ripples in the pond with my next statement I'm sure you'll understand the sentiment, it is certainly *not* meant to be a flame:

Quote:
Once again it all comes down to presentation.

I would disagree (not in a black and white sense) Whilst it would be nice to be able to say about everything "It all comes down to presentation" I strongly believe that if in your mind you're not comfortable about something then trust that instinct. After all to be effective you have to believe in what you are doing, yes? With the greatest of respect to you both I don't think its fair to come back with something on the lines of "your presentation is all wrong" when someone says they don't like something and its a matter of personal choice? You like coloured ESP symbols, I don't, shall we leave it at that gentlemen? Smile

All the best,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
Curiously, even though ESP tests have been conducted with all kinds of cards including the Soal deck which has pictures of animals, I think I too am prejudiced in favour of the Rhine-style with plain black symbols. Maybe that's because these are the ones they always seem to use in horror films...?

best wishes
Huw
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Going back to Statenisland's original question regarding ESP cards in their original box's and for anyone else wishing to obtain them, yes these are available from the Rhine research centre. http://www.rhine.org
I received some this morning.

Franklin - The Paranormalist
ThomasWTaylor
View Profile
New user
San Antonio
10 Posts

Profile of ThomasWTaylor
Why would you pay more from a magic shop when you can get them from the Rhine Institute for $7.00?
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
When it comes to ESP cards, I prefer the ones that are printed by Royal Magic. They are printed on good card stock, and the backs are marked! The markings are VERY subtle, and invisible to those who don't know they are there. Also, the markings are not mentioned in the "instructions" that come with the deck. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dr. Rhine ESP Deck?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL