The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Comedy colour change silks (Davenport's) dye tube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
I have bought this effect and pretty much got most of it perfected but I find the bit where you apparantley tell audience how it's done very difficult. This is the part where you load 2 silks into tube (pretty similair to a thumb tip vanish) but getting the dye tube on middle finger is pretty difficult as it just doesn't work ?slides straight off finger if you know what I mean?
any help appreciated on using dye tubes
Jezza
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would look at Billy McComb's half dyed hank routine. Billy pretends to explain and does the dirty work at the same time. He ends up a step ahead of the audience.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Richard,
Where do we get this? I asked in little darlings too.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
McComb's Magic (25 years wiser) IMS has a tape of the routine as does Joe Stevens.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
creesman
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of creesman
It is available from Viking Magic.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of eb02
This is one of my favorite silk effects. I do it in all my shows, for children and adults as well. I do it in two parts – first I change white silk to black silk, and “explain” how I do it… then I use the black and the white silks and change them to Zebra silk…
I am not familiar with the Davenport's effect, but according to your explanation it looks similar. Mine is a combination of two DT and El Duco’s zebra silk. PM if you have any question.
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
It's more technique with the dye tubes that I want advice on. I find it hard to steal the tube with 2 silks in it as won't fit properly on middle finger and just feels awkward? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of eb02
Dear Jezz
It’s deepened on the Dye Tube you are using. For one silk I am using round shape and it is very easy to steal with the finger, it’s like a ball. For two silk I have a 24” DT, and you need to steal it with the finger and the palm.
It’s also a matter of practicing.
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Jezza,
I have a dye tube that has a edge that is curled inward at the end. It makes it very easy to steal because your finger can snag that curled end. I have another dye tube that has just straight ends and you finger could slip off the end during the steal because it doesn't have that curl. Look and see if you can find one that has the curled end on it.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
Thanks I will look for alternative tubes ,
I like the color changing silk routines as you don't see them getting performed too much
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3397 Posts

Profile of Julie
Look for an Al Baker dye tube. This has the "lip" mentioned earlier. Smile
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
I peformed this table hopping last night for the first time about 7 times and it got really good reactions. It's great --- a fun effect to do and I love the fact they still think the silk is still in the hand. The only bit I feel I could improve on is the steal when there are 2 silks inside as it doesn't feel right (maybe I'm just over analytical). But any tips or other routines out there would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22650 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-11-21 09:49, jezza wrote:
I have bought this effect and pretty much got most of it perfected but I find the bit where you apparently tell the audience how it's done is very difficult. This is the part where you load 2 silks into tube (pretty similair to a thumb tip vanish) but getting the dye tube on middle finger is pretty difficult as it just doesn't work/slide straight off finger, if you know what I mean? Any help appreciated on using dye tubes.
Jezza

Sounds like you have the straight sided dye tube. With this tube you do not use the finger but actually grab it with the index and thumb. If you have the curved end dye tube you can steal with the 2nd finger.

I never liked the straight sided dye tube, as it always gives the little tell tail of you doing somehthing. This handling is explained on the Pat Page Stage Magic Video.

Usually, the hand dye tubes do not take 2 silks, I think you are doing something wrong. To cause the 'goof', the exposed silk is stuffed between the hand and dye tube, not in the dye tube.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
The audience has not noticed the steal(unless being polite) and I also think the guard is down as I am apparently telling how the effect is done. Are there any good videos or dvds on dye tubes.

Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Comedy colour change silks (Davenport's) dye tube (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL