The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which is your preferred use of your gaze to misdirect ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Hi

I recently re-read a big chunk of the Slydini and Ramsay material and I have the following question on which I'd appreciate everyone's comments.

I have the impression that in the context of a false take/false put action, such as commonly used in close-up routines with coins, sponge balls, etc... Slydini and Ramsay recommend either :
- to look at the hand which falsely contains the object (in this case the performer's gaze reinforces the notion that the object is in THAT hand and nowhere else)
- to look at the spectator (in this case the performer's gaze creates mild confusion / de-focuses the spectator's attention away from the covert action)

My question is, which of these two options seems preferable to you as a performer, and do you notice that one is stronger than the other in certain circumstances ?

Thanks
Daniel
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
When you stare someone directly in the eyes they become almost hypnotised. They usually will not break eye contact unless you do.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Um....

it's not a one or the other situation. it's more of a combination and there is a timing element involved.

usually you do not want a spectator looking at your hands at the moment a slight is done.

directing attention from the hand to your face at just the right moment (just before the slight is done) is typical.

to best learn this, I chose to study john Carney's writeup of cylinder and coins, in Carneycopia, which is now back in print.

again, I do not believe the answer lies in a "one or the other" type of format. it's a fluid combination of both that pulls it off. doing just one or the other will ensure failure.

you should always be directing attention from a to b to c ....

you should also train the audience that is is safe to look at your face (away from your hands), a prop, etc. early in your performance. this is done by using active vs. passive body language.

do you have "leading with your head" by Kurtz?

get that too.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Frank

Thanks, I do have that book and I'll get it out and re read it following your post. What do you ůmean by 'safe to look at your face though ? Are you referring to a specific part of the Kurtz book ?

If you look into the Slydini material there is no systematic mention of looking at the spec when performing the sleight. Sometimes that's what he recommends, and other times he recommends looking at the 'non-guilty' hand.

I'm trying to make up my mind as to why that is.

D.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Depends on the situation...

Do you want them to be following an object, or do you just want their attention momentarily disrupted in order to perform a sleight?

I think they are so different that you cant pick one or the other because they are both used in completly different ways imho.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which is your preferred use of your gaze to misdirect ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL